You’ll Soon Be Able to Pre-Order Meals on Delta
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At a media event focused on the Airbus A350 on Tuesday, Delta’s Vice President of Onboard Service, Lisa Bauer, announced that the carrier will be launching a new program in its premium cabins, first on international flights and then domestic.
Entree per-ordering will be available in Delta One business class on select routes beginning in early 2018, initially only on outbound flights departing from Atlanta and New York. A few months later, Delta will add the feature to all international Delta One flights, including those originating overseas. Finally, by the end of 2018, all Delta One and domestic first class customers will have the ability to pre-order meals.
So how will it work? Bauer explains:
Six days before the customers fly, we will send them an email and we’ll tell them the menu that’s onboard, they’ll get to pick their specific entree that they’re looking for. If they don’t select it in six days we’ll send them a text [to] give them another opportunity.
Delta is (finally) following in the footsteps of a bunch of airlines that have offered the option to pre-order meals for years. Domestically, carriers including Alaska, American and Virgin America have offered the pre-order option for quite some time. Internationally, some of the world’s top carriers including Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines offer premium passengers not only some of the best meals in the sky, but also the option to browse the menu beforehand and select meals before getting on the plane.
Additionally, Bauer shared plans to refresh the economy meal service, starting with menu cards in coach that include an overview of the flow of flight, detailing menu items from takeoff to touchdown. Delta will begin rolling out new entree items as well — you should begin seeing those options pop up now through May 2018, while the menu cards will be available on some flights beginning next month.
There will also be new cutlery coming to economy in December, and new service items such as plates and bowls will follow in Q2 of 2018.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees