Get up to a 62.5% Bonus When Transferring Starpoints to AAdvantage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
One of the reasons transferable currencies are so valuable is the flexibility they provide. Also, programs will periodically add extra incentives for leveraging partnerships via transfer bonuses. Now through October 31, get a 20-30% bonus when transferring Starpoints to AAdvantage miles. After all bonuses are applied, you can get up to 1.625 AAdvantage miles per 1 Starpoint transferred.
This 20-30% bonus stacks on top of Starwood’s standard offer of 5,000 bonus miles for each 20,000 Starpoints transferred. Factoring both of those bonuses in, here are some sweet spots to consider:
- 20,000 Starpoints => 30,000 AAdvantage miles (1.5x)
- 40,000 Starpoints => 60,000 AAdvantage miles (1.5x)
- 60,000 Starpoints => 90,000 AAdvantage miles (1.5x)
- 80,000 Starpoints* => 130,000 AAdvantage miles (1.625x)
*Note that Starwood limits transfers to 79,999 Starpoints and only allows one transfer per day. In order to transfer 80,000 Starpoints, you’ll need to make separate transfers over multiple days.
62.5% bonus miles sounds like a great deal, but it’s important to keep in mind the values of each program. Based on the latest TPG valuations, Starpoints are valued at 2.7 cents each while AAdvantage miles are worth about half of that at 1.4 cents each; we wouldn’t recommend transferring points in this case.
That said, the reason our valuation for AAdvantage miles is so low is the lack of AAward AAvailability. You can get some incredible value out of AAdvantage miles if you find MileSAAver availability. AAdvantage allows you to hold awards for up to five days, so keep a look out over the next few weeks for award availability. If you find something that works well, give AAdvantage a call, put the award on hold and transfer Starpoints using this promotion.
If you’re interested in transferring Starpoints to AAdvantage, there’s another option to keep in mind. Starpoints transfer to Marriott points at a 1:3 ratio and you can redeem Marriott points for American Airlines miles via Marriott’s Hotel + Air Packages. You can transfer 90,000 Starpoints to 270,000 Marriott points and redeem this for 120,000 AAdvantage miles, plus a seven-night stay at a Marriott category 1-5 hotel.
With this current promotion, transferring 80,000 Starpoints (over multiple days to maximize the bonuses) would net you 130,000 AAdvantage miles. That means the Hotel + Air route requires 10,000 more Starpoints and earns you 10,000 less AAdvantage miles — but you’d get a seven-night hotel stay. Choose wisely based on your needs.
Another way of scoring AAdvantage miles is the increased bonus on the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard. You’ll earn a 60,000-mile bonus after using the card just once and after paying the $95 annual fee. That’s a pretty easy way of getting enough miles for a one-way business class flight to Europe.
Are you going to consider transferring Starpoints to AAdvantage miles during this promo?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.