Royal Jordanian Sends Dreamliner to St. Maarten to Evacuate Irma Survivors
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since Hurricane Irma made its way through the Caribbean, St. Maarten’s Maho Beach and famed Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM) have been left with devastating damage. Travel companies have made efforts to help the island by bringing supplies and helping survivors evacuate to safety — from KLM bringing its 747 back to SXM to Royal Caribbean sending one of its ships. Now, Royal Jordanian has shared that it’s sent one of its aircraft to help evacuate Jordanian citizens.
Upon the directives of His Majesty King Abdullah,an RJ aircraft lands in the Caribbean Island of Saint Martin to evacuate Jordanian citizens pic.twitter.com/odRZw35ye7
— Royal Jordanian (@RoyalJordanian) September 18, 2017
According to FlightRadar24, on of Royal Jordanian’s Dreamliners (JY-BAG) made the trip from Madrid (MAD) to St. Maarten (SXM) on Monday morning. After arriving at 8:21am, the aircraft quickly turned around after picking up evacuees before departing at 10:22am, bound for MAD.
Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein, the King of Jordan, reportedly ordered Royal Jordanian to send the aircraft to St. Maarten. According to the Jordanian government, there were 96 citizens in St. Maarten who needed to be rescued.
We reached out to Royal Jordanian but have yet to hear back about any of the specifics of the flight.
RJ’s Dreamliners feature 24 lie-flat seats in business in a 2-2-2 configuration and 246 seats in economy in a 3-3-3 configuration.
If there were indeed 96 Jordanian citizens who were being evacuated, RJ’s Dreamliner offers enough room for each of the survivors to have a lie-flat bed of their own — at least on paper. There are 80 “clusters” of three seats each in economy, meaning there’s plenty of space for one passenger to have claimed a cluster for themselves, which could be used as a makeshift lie-flat bed. Others could get a true lie-flat bed at the nose of the aircraft.
At the time of this writing, RJ Flight 6104 is en route to Madrid and is expected to arrive at 5:36pm ET. Royal Jordanian does not regularly operate flights to SXM.
Featured image by Brendan Dorsey / TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.