Royal Jordanian Sends Dreamliner to St. Maarten to Evacuate Irma Survivors
Since Hurricane Irma made its way through the Caribbean, St. Maarten’s Maho Beach and famed Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM) have been left with devastating damage. Travel companies have made efforts to help the island by bringing supplies and helping survivors evacuate to safety — from KLM bringing its 747 back to SXM to Royal Caribbean sending one of its ships. Now, Royal Jordanian has shared that it’s sent one of its aircraft to help evacuate Jordanian citizens.
Upon the directives of His Majesty King Abdullah,an RJ aircraft lands in the Caribbean Island of Saint Martin to evacuate Jordanian citizens pic.twitter.com/odRZw35ye7
— Royal Jordanian (@RoyalJordanian) September 18, 2017
According to FlightRadar24, on of Royal Jordanian’s Dreamliners (JY-BAG) made the trip from Madrid (MAD) to St. Maarten (SXM) on Monday morning. After arriving at 8:21am, the aircraft quickly turned around after picking up evacuees before departing at 10:22am, bound for MAD.
Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein, the King of Jordan, reportedly ordered Royal Jordanian to send the aircraft to St. Maarten. According to the Jordanian government, there were 96 citizens in St. Maarten who needed to be rescued.
We reached out to Royal Jordanian but have yet to hear back about any of the specifics of the flight.
RJ’s Dreamliners feature 24 lie-flat seats in business in a 2-2-2 configuration and 246 seats in economy in a 3-3-3 configuration.
If there were indeed 96 Jordanian citizens who were being evacuated, RJ’s Dreamliner offers enough room for each of the survivors to have a lie-flat bed of their own — at least on paper. There are 80 “clusters” of three seats each in economy, meaning there’s plenty of space for one passenger to have claimed a cluster for themselves, which could be used as a makeshift lie-flat bed. Others could get a true lie-flat bed at the nose of the aircraft.
At the time of this writing, RJ Flight 6104 is en route to Madrid and is expected to arrive at 5:36pm ET. Royal Jordanian does not regularly operate flights to SXM.
Featured image by Brendan Dorsey / TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees