Tip: Note Your Property’s Cancellation Policy Before Your Stay
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Right now, the trendy thing for hotel chains to do is change their cancellation policies, making them less generous for travelers. In the past couple of months, Hilton, Marriott and Starwood have changed their cancellation policies from 24 hours before the stay to 48 hours prior. Plus, IHG also changed its cancellation policy from 6:00pm on the day of check-in to 24 hours before your stay.
But, while the overall policies for many of them are changing, note that individual properties might have their own cancellation policies. Take, for example, the Hilton Times Square in New York City. Although Hilton’s standard cancellation policy is 48 hours, the Hilton Times Square requires you to cancel three days in advance.
Some hotels in locations where there is higher demand have more restrictive cancellation policies, such as this Times Square location. If you think you might have to cancel your reservation for a hotel stay anywhere, be sure to take note of that specific property’s policy, as it may not adhere to the rest of the chain’s standard.
Featured image courtesy of the New York Hilton Midtown.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.