Marriott Changes Policy, Drops Free Same-Day Cancellations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re not sure of your travel plans, it’s nice to have the option to make a cancellable hotel booking (or two). That way, you have a place to stay if you need it — without having to pay last-minute booking rates — but you aren’t stuck paying for the room if plans change. Just next Saturday, I’ve got hotels booked for three different cities — as I’m not sure which city I’ll end up in. Thankfully, each of these hotels allows cancellations up to 6pm the day of.
Well, it seems that hotels are getting sick of dealing with these last-minute cancellations. Marriott silently changed its cancellation policy yesterday. Effective yesterday, new bookings will now have at least a 48-hour cancellation policy — with some hotels now requiring 72 hours.
Via View From The Wing, we first heard about this change from Twitter user @TravelJono:
We reached out to Marriott to confirm that there has been a policy change. A Marriott spokesperson responded confirming it and went into detail about where and why the new policy is going into effect:
Marriott International is implementing a cancellation policy at hotels in the Americas including the United States, Canada, Caribbean and Latin America, across all brands except for Design Hotels. The revised policy allows us to make rooms available to guests that would have otherwise gone unoccupied due to a last-minute cancellation.
The change: While cancellation policies vary by hotel, hotels whose policy is to allow guests to cancel their room reservations on the day before arrival without incurring a fee are faced with a significant number of unsold rooms due to last minute cancellations. Guests will now be required to cancel their room reservation by midnight 48 hours prior to arrival to avoid a fee. This will allow hotels a better chance to make the rooms available to guests seeking last minute accommodations.
This is a huge bummer for those of us who rely on these last-minute cancellations. However, it looks like this may mean more Marriott availability for last-minute travels. Hopefully these 48-72 hour cancellations will mean more — not less — cheap Marriott options on TPG favorite Hotel Tonight.
H/T: View From The Wing
Featured image courtesy of Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.