Hilton Follows Marriott’s Lead, Changes Cancellation Policy to 48 Hours
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, Marriott changed its cancellation policy to be more customer-unfriendly, requiring travelers to cancel their reservations at least 48 hours in advance, with some hotels requiring 72 hours. The new policy was seen across the travel space widely as a negative change, especially for business travelers whose plans frequently change. Now, Hilton is jumping on the same trend with a more restrictive cancellation policy.
Beginning July 31, 2017, Hilton will require that travelers cancel their hotel reservations at least 48 hours in advance. If you don’t cancel at least two days in advance, you’ll end up having to pay the full price for your first night. According to TravelSkills, a Hilton spokesperson said that in more desirable locations, the cancellation policy will switch from 48 hours to 72 hours, requiring you to cancel your reservation a full three days in advance.
This is a pretty unfortunate change for travelers — both leisure and business, the latter of which especially so since their plans tend to change at a moment’s notice. Now that Hilton and Marriott (and thus, former Starwood) properties have this more restrictive cancellation policy, it looks like this is going to be the new norm, and you’ll definitely want to take note of the policy if you’re making a hotel reservation.
The changes likely come on the heels of the rise of last-minute booking apps. Apps like Hotel Tonight that offer low prices for close-in bookings have become increasingly popular. And thus, travelers who have had their hotel stays booked well in advance have likely taken to cancelling their reservations closer to their stay. These new policies are likely an effort to curb the practice of travelers canceling existing reservations in order to take advantage of cheaper rates found elsewhere closer to the date of travel.
Featured image courtesy of Hilton at Resorts World Bimini.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees