IHG the Latest Chain to Restrict Its Cancellation Policy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG is following in the footsteps of other hotel chains and changing its cancellation policy. Beginning August 4, 2017, the chain is changing its cancellation policy for hotels in the US from at least before 6:00pm on the day of check-in to at least 24 hours in advance.
The chain implemented the policy late last month for its European properties, and it expects to have the 24-hour cancellation policy in effect at all of its properties in Asia, the Middle East and Africa by the end of September. The only country that’s going to be exempt from the new 24-hour policy is China. Kimpton Hotels, which was acquired by IHG in 2014 but still remains fairly independent, will retain its 48-hour cancellation policy.
Since June, both Hilton and Marriott (and therefore SPG) have switched their cancellation policies from 24 hours to 48 hours. So while IHG’s new policy isn’t quite as restrictive as its competitors, it’s surely a downgrade for travelers used to staying at IHG properties and being able to take advantage of its generous cancellation policy.
As it stands now, here are the cancellation policies for some of the major hotel chains in the US. (Note that some properties have more restrictive policies than others so it would be a good idea to check the terms for an upcoming stay.):
- Hilton — 48 hours
- Hyatt — 24-48 hours, depending on the property
- IHG — 24 hours
- Kimpton — 48 hours
- Marriott — 48 hours
- Starwood — 48 hours
It’s interesting to see more and more hotel chains jump on the bandwagon of increasing their cancellation time frames. This trend is generally bad news for travelers, especially business travelers whose plans tend to change quite often. As last-minute booking apps like HotelTonight have become increasingly popular, travelers have been more inclined to cancel their existing reservations at the last minute and book with the less expensive option at no cost to them. These smaller cancellation windows are likely hotels’ way to try to deter that practice.
Featured image courtesy of the InterContinental Hong Kong.
H/T: The Gate
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees