Delta Unveils New Airport Code-Themed Mural
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this summer, Delta tried to help Brooklynites find love on a street corner at Williamsburg’s #DeltaDatingWall. Now that mural is gone and in its place, 133 unique airport codes — representing every single city that Delta services out of John. F Kennedy (JFK) and LaGuardia (LGA) airports — adorn the corner of Wythe Avenue and North 10th Street.
Illustrated by London-based artist Celyn Brazier and created by advertising agency Wieden+Kennedy, the doodled codes capture each city’s flavor through symbols, themes and motifs. Philadelphia (PHL), for example, boasts a Liberty Bell’d letter P, a Rocky-at-the-Art-Museum letter H and a cheesesteak-ified letter L.
Brazier admitted to TPG that making each code was its own adventure, saying that he didn’t know what would work until he tried. “My approach is to shoe-horn an unlikely association into a letterform and hope that it works,” Brazier said in an email.
The finished product is certainly a sight to behold — Brazier calls it “a discombobulated cornucopia of travel inspiration” — with many secrets that could be easily missed without a good, long look.
But Delta wants to reward those that do take the time, and according to Wieden + Kennedy, the airline is offering prizes on Instagram to those who are able to spot the mural’s “needle in the haystack” items — like an ear of Iowan corn or the Big Apple. Not to mention, Delta has created a Facebook Shoppable post and Snapchat filters. The airline’s wall will be up now through August 27 and for those enthused enough to show off their hometown code, there’s merch for sale as well.
Featured image courtesy of Wieden+Kennedy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees