Citi Adds Turkish Airlines as a ThankYou Transfer Partner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
Citi’s ThankYou Rewards program has become more and more valuable over the past couple of years as the issuer has added new transfer partners. Now, Citi is adding Turkish Airlines as a transfer partner for your ThankYou points.
Beginning today, you can transfer your ThankYou points to Turkish Airlines’ Miles and Smiles program at a 1:1 ratio. So, you can transfer 1,000 ThankYou points and get 1,000 Turkish Miles and Smiles miles in return.
With the latest addition of Miles and Smiles, the Citi ThankYou Rewards program now has 16 partners to which you can transfer your points. Here’s a list of each of the partners and their transfer ratios:
|Program Name||Transfer Ratio (ThankYou Point:Transfer Program)|
|Air France/KLM Flying Blue||1:1|
|Cathay Pacific Asia Miles||1:1.2 (promotion through 9/6)|
|Hilton Honors||1:2 (promotion through 9/20)|
|Jet Airways JetPrivilege||1:1|
|Malaysia Airlines Enrich||1:1|
|Qantas Frequent Flyer||1:1|
|Qatar Privilege Club||1:1|
|Sears Shop Your Way||1:12|
|Thai Royal Orchid Plus||1:1|
|Turkish Miles and Smiles||1:1|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||1:1|
With today’s addition, Citi ThankYou now has a total of four Star Alliance members for cardholders to transfer their miles to — EVA Air, Singapore, Thai and Turkish. If you’re interested in booking a Turkish award, you can do so online — but you’ll need to sign up for a Miles and Smiles account first. Or, you can book Star Alliance awards through Turkish, but you’ll need to all the airline at 1 (800) 874-8875 to do so. According to the Star Alliance Limited Capacity Award Chart, you can book a flight between North America and Turkey for 90,000 miles in business class.
Turkish offers two types of award tickets for non-partner travel: Capacity Controlled and Guaranteed. The Capacity Controlled level are comparable to saver-level awards on other carriers and are generally harder to come by. Guaranteed tickets are a more standard-level option and come at a higher price.
We searched Turkish’s site for award tickets and found that Capacity Controlled tickets were indeed more rare, but we were able to find some dates with availability. If you’re very flexible with your travel dates and can find availability, you can book a ticket between New York (JFK) and Istanbul (IST) for 90,000 miles round-trip in business, or 60,000 miles round-trip in economy. A Guaranteed ticket will run you a staggering 210,000 miles round-trip in business and 90,000 round-trip in economy. All tickets are subject to taxes and fees — be sure to note them before you book.
If you can find availability in business class at the Capacity Controlled level, it can be a fantastic deal, especially considering United charges 70,000 miles one-way for a Turkish Airlines flight between JFK and IST.
This is welcome news for Citi cardholders, as having another transfer partner is always positive and can open your options to more redemptions. However, we generally recommend not transferring your points unless you have a specific redemption in mind (in this case, with Turkish) and you’re sure of availability. As a reminder, ThankYou points can be earned through select Citi credit cards, such as the Citi Prestige Card, which is offering a record-high sign-up bonus of 75,000 points after spending $7,500 in the first three months.
Featured image via Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.