American Airlines Adds Premium Economy to Some Hawaii Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in October 2016, American Airlines debuted its new premium economy product on a flight between Dallas (DFW) and Los Angeles (LAX), which was operated by a 787-9. Since then, AA has rapidly expanded this product to more aircraft types as well as the routes on which it serves. While much of the focus for American has remained on its international routes, now AA is adding premium economy on several popular domestic routes.
Beginning December 15, American will begin flying its premium economy product on select Hawaii routes. Here are the exact details for each of the new routes that will offer it:
- Dallas (DFW) – Honolulu (HNL)
- Dallas (DFW) – Kahului (OGG)
- Dallas (DFW) – Kona (KOA) — beginning June 7, 2018
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Honolulu (HNL) — only between December 15, 2017, and January 7, 2018
Each of the new routes that are listed above will be operated by one of American’s retrofitted 777-200 aircraft. Premium economy on the 772 is arranged in a 2-4-2 configuration, which is the same as that on its 787-9 aircraft. Passengers seated in premium economy on these new routes will receive food and beverage service, including complimentary spirits, beer and wine. In addition, customers will get an enhanced pillow and blanket.
On the inaugural premium economy flight between DFW and HNL, you can purchase a round-trip ticket for as low as $1,689 as of this writing.
According to an AA spokesperson, AAdvantage awards and upgrades for premium economy on these new routes aren’t yet available. However, they will be at a later date. In the interim, passengers can request a 500-mile upgrade from Main Cabin to domestic first class and from premium economy to domestic first class.
In addition, Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members will get complimentary upgrades from either the main cabin or premium economy to domestic first class if seats are available. Platinum and Gold members can pay to upgrade with 500-mile upgrades. As far as what you’ll earn, flying premium economy will earn you 1.5 EQMs.
This is great news from AA, which is continuing to expand its new premium economy product. TPG’s JT Genter flew AA’s premium economy product on the 777-200 and enjoyed his experience, especially the additional legroom and enhanced pillows. If you’re looking to try premium economy on a domestic route, these new additions from AA are a great way to do so.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees