American Airlines Adds Premium Economy to Some Hawaii Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in October 2016, American Airlines debuted its new premium economy product on a flight between Dallas (DFW) and Los Angeles (LAX), which was operated by a 787-9. Since then, AA has rapidly expanded this product to more aircraft types as well as the routes on which it serves. While much of the focus for American has remained on its international routes, now AA is adding premium economy on several popular domestic routes.
Beginning December 15, American will begin flying its premium economy product on select Hawaii routes. Here are the exact details for each of the new routes that will offer it:
- Dallas (DFW) – Honolulu (HNL)
- Dallas (DFW) – Kahului (OGG)
- Dallas (DFW) – Kona (KOA) — beginning June 7, 2018
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Honolulu (HNL) — only between December 15, 2017, and January 7, 2018
Each of the new routes that are listed above will be operated by one of American’s retrofitted 777-200 aircraft. Premium economy on the 772 is arranged in a 2-4-2 configuration, which is the same as that on its 787-9 aircraft. Passengers seated in premium economy on these new routes will receive food and beverage service, including complimentary spirits, beer and wine. In addition, customers will get an enhanced pillow and blanket.
On the inaugural premium economy flight between DFW and HNL, you can purchase a round-trip ticket for as low as $1,689 as of this writing.
According to an AA spokesperson, AAdvantage awards and upgrades for premium economy on these new routes aren’t yet available. However, they will be at a later date. In the interim, passengers can request a 500-mile upgrade from Main Cabin to domestic first class and from premium economy to domestic first class.
In addition, Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members will get complimentary upgrades from either the main cabin or premium economy to domestic first class if seats are available. Platinum and Gold members can pay to upgrade with 500-mile upgrades. As far as what you’ll earn, flying premium economy will earn you 1.5 EQMs.
This is great news from AA, which is continuing to expand its new premium economy product. TPG’s JT Genter flew AA’s premium economy product on the 777-200 and enjoyed his experience, especially the additional legroom and enhanced pillows. If you’re looking to try premium economy on a domestic route, these new additions from AA are a great way to do so.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.