American Airlines Adds Premium Economy to Some Hawaii Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in October 2016, American Airlines debuted its new premium economy product on a flight between Dallas (DFW) and Los Angeles (LAX), which was operated by a 787-9. Since then, AA has rapidly expanded this product to more aircraft types as well as the routes on which it serves. While much of the focus for American has remained on its international routes, now AA is adding premium economy on several popular domestic routes.
Beginning December 15, American will begin flying its premium economy product on select Hawaii routes. Here are the exact details for each of the new routes that will offer it:
- Dallas (DFW) – Honolulu (HNL)
- Dallas (DFW) – Kahului (OGG)
- Dallas (DFW) – Kona (KOA) — beginning June 7, 2018
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Honolulu (HNL) — only between December 15, 2017, and January 7, 2018
Each of the new routes that are listed above will be operated by one of American’s retrofitted 777-200 aircraft. Premium economy on the 772 is arranged in a 2-4-2 configuration, which is the same as that on its 787-9 aircraft. Passengers seated in premium economy on these new routes will receive food and beverage service, including complimentary spirits, beer and wine. In addition, customers will get an enhanced pillow and blanket.
On the inaugural premium economy flight between DFW and HNL, you can purchase a round-trip ticket for as low as $1,689 as of this writing.
According to an AA spokesperson, AAdvantage awards and upgrades for premium economy on these new routes aren’t yet available. However, they will be at a later date. In the interim, passengers can request a 500-mile upgrade from Main Cabin to domestic first class and from premium economy to domestic first class.
In addition, Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members will get complimentary upgrades from either the main cabin or premium economy to domestic first class if seats are available. Platinum and Gold members can pay to upgrade with 500-mile upgrades. As far as what you’ll earn, flying premium economy will earn you 1.5 EQMs.
This is great news from AA, which is continuing to expand its new premium economy product. TPG’s JT Genter flew AA’s premium economy product on the 777-200 and enjoyed his experience, especially the additional legroom and enhanced pillows. If you’re looking to try premium economy on a domestic route, these new additions from AA are a great way to do so.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.