Fly American Airlines’ 777 Premium Economy Seat Starting Today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is in the midst of a premium economy overhaul. Starting October 2016, AA launched its new premium economy seating on its brand new Boeing 787-9. After getting a few of these aircraft into service and some (welcome) delays, AA finally launched its premium economy class of service on May 4.
Now, AA is turning its premium economy efforts to retrofitting its existing long-haul aircraft, starting with its Boeing 777-200s. However, the other aircraft don’t have to wait long, as the retrofit project is supposed to be finished by June 2018.
We knew that the 777-200s were supposed to start being retrofit in June, and we’ve been waiting anxiously for news that the first one was complete. Well, today’s the day — the first retrofit 777-200 is out of the shop and is scheduled to start flying starting this afternoon.
As confirmed by American Airlines, the 777-200 with registration #N781AN has returned from being retrofitted in Seattle. Currently, it’s scheduled to fly the following flights:
- AA flight #70 from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Frankfurt (FRA) on Friday, June 23
- AA flight #71 from Frankfurt (FRA) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) on Saturday, June 24
- AA flight #1425 from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Miami (MIA) on Saturday, June 24
- AA flight #905 from Miami (MIA) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) on Saturday, June 24
Here’s the unique thing about this situation — AA isn’t starting the premium economy class of service on these 777s until December 15. Once that launches, here are the routes on which you’ll find the premium economy full product.
But, until then, these premium economy seats will be treated as part of the economy cabin until then. They’re marked as “Main Cabin Extra” — meaning non-elite members will have to pay extra to reserve them.
American Airlines Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elites will be able to select these MCE seats for free at anytime (from booking to boarding). Meanwhile, AA Gold elites will have to pay 50% of the standard cost of reserving these seats up until check-in, when any remaining seats can be selected for free.
Update 3:15pm: We have the first seat map for the new premium economy section. Looks like AA auto-assigned all of the premium economy seats already for the first flight from DFW-FRA today:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees