American Airlines New 777 Premium Economy Routes Unveiled
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, we learned that American Airlines will launch premium economy on its Boeing 777-200 routes starting December 15. Now, we know which routes will feature the premium economy class of service, according to RoutesOnline:
- Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) – Buenos Aires Ezeiza (EZE)
- Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) – Frankfurt (FRA)
- Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) – Tokyo Narita (NRT)
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Tokyo Haneda (HND)
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Tokyo Narita (NRT)
- Miami (MIA) – Barcelona (BCN)
- Miami (MIA) – Buenos Aires Ezeiza (EZE)
- Miami (MIA) – Madrid (MAD)
- Miami (MIA) – Paris (CDG)
- Miami (MIA) – Rio de Janeiro Galeao (GIG)
- Miami (MIA) – Santiago de Chile (SCL)
- Miami (MIA) – Sao Paulo Guarulhos (GRU)
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Paris (CDG), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to London Heathrow (LHR) and Miami (MIA) to London Heathrow (LHR) are also for sale effective April 3, 2018.
American Airlines uses the 777-200 on some domestic routes — such as between DFW-MIA. However, none are included in this list. On domestic routes and any others where the 777-200 flies, the premium economy cabin will be treated as part of economy.
You may not have to wait all the way until December to try out the premium economy seats on AA’s 772s. The airline is going to start retrofitting these aircraft this month so you might luck out between now and December 15 and find yourself on one of the retrofitted aircraft. Then too, the premium economy seats will be treated as part of the economy cabin.
Whenever being included as part of economy, these seats will likely be marked as “Main Cabin Extra.” While general travelers will have to pay extra to reserve these seats, AA elites either pay a reduced amount (AA Gold) or are able to reserve these seats for free (AA Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum) at booking.
Are you looking forward to premium economy on the 777-200s?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.