United Adds More Routes With Polaris Seats to Its Schedule
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United continues to take delivery of new 777-300ER aircraft with Polaris seats installed, even though the airline has reportedly had issues with its seat manufacturer Zodiac. A few months ago we wrote that several additional international cities were expected to get Polaris cabins by the end of the year, and now United has set official dates for three of those routes.
According to Routes Online, the next city pairs to see United’s new 777-300ERs with Polaris seats will be:
- San Francisco (SFO) — Beijing (PEK) beginning September 6, 2017
- San Francisco (SFO) — Frankfurt (FRA) beginning October 6, 2017
- Newark (EWR) — Tokyo/Narita (NRT) beginning October 28, 2017
All three of these routes are already operated on a daily basis by United — the two San Francisco routes currently utilize a 747-400 while the Newark-Tokyo/Narita route is served at the moment by a 777-200ER. United is in the process of retiring all of its 747s, with the last of them scheduled to be pulled by the end of this year, so the opportunity to fly on them one last time is slowly coming to an end.
As far as booking Polaris seats on these new aircraft, all three of these routes are already showing the new seat maps on united.com as of their respective launch dates. As we’ve come to expect, low-level award space in Polaris business is generally slim to none (although as of this writing you can still find decent Polaris space on United’s San Francisco-Taipei (TPE) route). Economy space is much more plentiful on these three new routes, but with a 10-across 3 x 4 x 3 configuration in the coach cabin, this is not a plane we recommend seeking out if you’re flying in the back, especially on long-haul flights. However, if you do manage to score a Polaris business seat, TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig reviewed the cabin when the seats were rolled out on its first flights and wrote that this is his “favorite business-class seat offered by a US airline at this moment.”
If you’re keeping score at home, these three new routes join San Francisco-Taipei, San Francisco-Tokyo/Narita, San Francisco-Hong Kong (HKG) and Newark-Tel Aviv (TLV) as the seven total routes that already have or will soon have 777-300ER aircraft. United expects to take delivery of a total of 14 777-300ER planes by the end of the year and ordered four more at the Paris Air Show last month, so we’ll undoubtedly be seeing more of these equipment changes in the months ahead.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees