Delayed Seats Causing New United 777-300ERs to Collect Dust
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There has been much publicity surrounding United’s new Polaris product (especially the all-new seat design), which is now flying between San Francisco (SFO) and Hong Kong (HKG), and soon between Newark (EWR) and Tel Aviv (TLV). The first aircraft to be equipped with the new seats is the airline’s new Boeing 777-300ER (of which it has 13 on order), but it seems like the flying public will have to wait even longer to get on board these new aircraft thanks to a seat delay from Polaris’ manufacturer, Zodiac. Instead of introducing the new 777s into the fleet, United has had to put one into storage, with another joining shortly — which has apparently made United CEO Oscar Munoz ‘not happy.’
— Woodys Aeroimages (@woody2190) March 25, 2017
This is not the first time that Zodiac has been in hot water with a US airline. American Airlines cancelled a contract with the French company last year after constant delays led to a slow rollout of the retrofits to AA’s Boeing 777-200s as well as an inconsistent business-class experience.
Assuming United keeps its contract with Zodiac, the delays of Polaris seats simply means that business-class passengers will be flying without the full Polaris experience unless you’re booked on one of the airline’s routes that features the new 77W. But, chances are that you’ll encounter an older United aircraft, potentially with the dreaded 2-4-2 configuration in business class.
Despite delays, passengers who have gotten to try Polaris out have given the product generally positive reviews. United had originally said that many routes will see the brand-new aircraft before the end of 2017, but now it looks like that plan may be in danger.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees