Get Mosaic Status Through 2018 With JetBlue’s Latest Challenge/Match
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Unknown to many, airlines offer status challenges as a quick and easy way to attract potentially valuable frequent flyers. And there are benefits to be reaped for both parties: Airlines get more business, while customers get a slew of perks that enhance their travel experience. In fact, last year, JetBlue did just that by offering travelers two options to accelerate towards Mosaic status: Match with an elite status from another carrier or challenge by earning 3,750 base flight points within a 90-day window.
This year, the promotion is back. From now through August 14, 2017, JetBlue is once again offering its Mosaic status through a challenge or status match.
You have two options to participate:
If you don’t have any elite status currently, JetBlue’s challenge offers a fast-track road to Mosaic status. Upon registering, you’ll have 90 days to earn 3,750 base flight points — you earn 3 base points for every eligible dollar spent on JetBlue-operated flights, so you’ll need to spend $1,250 (plus taxes and fees) in order to qualify. A discounted round-trip Mint flight ($1,217), shown below, will get you almost all of the way there. If you meet the requirements, you’ll then have Mosaic through December 31, 2018. Note that you won’t earn the regular 15,000 bonus points through this promotion.
2. Match from another elite status
JetBlue will grant you Mosaic status through December 31, 2017 if you have any of the follow statues:
- Virgin America: Elevate Silver or Elevate Gold
- Alaska Airlines: MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75k
- American Airlines AAdvantage: Platinum, Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum
- Delta SkyMiles Medallion: Silver, Gold, Platinum or Diamond
- Southwest Airlines: Rapid Rewards A-List Preferred or Companion Pass
- United MileagePlus: Premier Silver Gold, Platinum or Premier 1K
Once matched, you’ll also be entered into the challenge automatically. You’ll then need to meet the requirements outlined above in the challenge section to retain Mosaic status through the end of 2018.
We value Mosaic status at $1,840, assuming you fly JetBlue quite a bit. Earning Mosaic normally requires 30 segments plus 12,000 base points or 15,000 base points (you earn 3 base points per dollar spent on airfare). To calculate the estimated $1,840 value, TPG Senior Points and Miles Contributor Nick Ewen based his numbers on earning 18,000 base points, so a total of $6,000 in spending. Here’s how the perks break down, from Nick:
- Waived change and cancellation fees ($500): One of the most unique perks of Mosaic status is that you (and others traveling on your itinerary) can change or cancel JetBlue flights without any fees. While most other carriers offer this privilege to top-tier elites on award tickets, Mosaic members can utilize it on all tickets. Since JetBlue changed its fare structure in 2015, you almost need a doctorate degree to determine what fee you’d pay as a non-elite member, but it ranges from $0 to $150 depending on the type of ticket you have, the fare you paid and/or how close you are to departure. Of course, you’ll still need to pay any applicable difference in fare, but if you regularly need flexibility for you and your travel companions, this could be a very valuable benefit.
- Two free checked bags ($250): The other big change that accompanied JetBlue’s new fare class structure was baggage fees, as the lowest fare (Blue) does not include a checked bag. As a Mosaic member, you and others on your itinerary can check two bags for free, regardless of the ticket you book. This will save you $20 for the first bag and $35 on the second bag. If you (and your friends or family members) regularly need to check multiple bags on JetBlue flights, this benefit could be quite lucrative, though keep in mind that you can get one free checked bag for you and your travel companions with the JetBlue Plus Card.
- Take 3 and Lucky 7 bonus ($145): JetBlue also offers a couple of tiered bonuses when you complete a certain number of flights. The Take 3 Bonus awards 5,000 bonus points when you fly three paid round-trip flights, while the Lucky 7 Bonus will give you 7,000 bonus points after flying 7 round-trip JetBlue flights. While not officially a perk of Mosaic status, it is something that you’d almost certainly earn during your qualification. These 12,000 bonus points are worth up to $144 based on TPG’s most recent valuation.
- Qualification bonus ($180): When you officially qualify for Mosaic status, you’ll enjoy a one-time bonus of 15,000 points, worth up to $180.
- Bonus points ($215): As a Mosaic member, you’ll earn 3 bonus points for every dollar spent on JetBlue flights. Since I’m assuming $6,000 worth of spending, that’ll give you 18,000 bonus points, worth $216.
- Priority check-in, security and boarding ($200): Mosaic members have priority check-in, can access Even More Speed priority security lines at dozens of JetBlue airports and will be among the first to board, giving you early access to overhead bin space. This is a nice collection of benefits if you’re running late for a flight but isn’t the most valuable perk out there.
- Dedicated customer service line ($100): You’ll also have a priority phone line to call as a Mosaic member, which can be fantastic in the event of a large-scale weather event.
- Complimentary alcoholic beverages ($150): Last year, JetBlue began offering complimentary drinks to Mosaic members. However, this isn’t a single drink but rather extends to the entire flight. These drinks regularly cost $6 – $9 (though are available at a 50% discount for holders of a Barclaycard JetBlue credit card). Depending on how many flights you take and how frequently you typically enjoy a drink at 38,000 feet, this could be a very valuable perk.
- Even More Space redemptions ($100): A final perk of JetBlue Mosaic status is the ability to redeem your points for Even More Space seats, sometimes at a pretty fantastic rate. I’ve found JetBlue’s regular coach seats to have generous legroom compared to other domestic carriers, so Even More Space seats can seem massive by comparison. I like to book these seats using the airline fee credits from cards like the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express or the Platinum Card from American Express, but having the ability to redeem points for these seats can be a nice benefit to have.
As you can see, JetBlue elite status offers tremendous value, especially in the wake of cost-cutting measures across other frequent flyer programs in the country. If you already have the JetBlue Plus Card or JetBlue Business Card, having Mosaic status adds to existing perks like 6 extra points per dollar on flight purchases, a free checked bag and 50% off in-flight purchases.
While the terms don’t explicitly prevent previous participants from matching again, the T&Cs do states that “JetBlue will have the right to deny any application or to refuse entry into the Challenge or to deny Mosaic status to anyone, in JetBlue’s sole discretion.”
Will you be matching to JetBlue Mosaic?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees