This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Building a commercial aircraft is no simple task; it takes many years of designing, testing and more to bring an airliner to market. Some — wind tunnel tests, for one — you’ve probably heard of, but others are far more obscure. The water ingestion test featured in this crazy aviation video might fall into that latter category. It tests a very real scenario — a water-drenched runway — that could prove troublesome for our big metal birds.
The threat of water damage is all too real for airplanes — if water were to find its way into places it shouldn’t be (and in quantities beyond the expected) the plane’s engines could surge, stall or even flame out. This video showcases the Boeing 737 MAX going through the motions as a maintenance crew watches from the the side of the runway. As the near-takeoff-speed 737 passes through prepositioned water troughs, it sends back a torrent of water. But the plane’s been designed with splash back in mind — its engines are situated beyond the splash zone.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards