This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Building a commercial aircraft is no simple task; it takes many years of designing, testing and more to bring an airliner to market. Some — wind tunnel tests, for one — you’ve probably heard of, but others are far more obscure. The water ingestion test featured in this crazy aviation video might fall into that latter category. It tests a very real scenario — a water-drenched runway — that could prove troublesome for our big metal birds.
The threat of water damage is all too real for airplanes — if water were to find its way into places it shouldn’t be (and in quantities beyond the expected) the plane’s engines could surge, stall or even flame out. This video showcases the Boeing 737 MAX going through the motions as a maintenance crew watches from the the side of the runway. As the near-takeoff-speed 737 passes through prepositioned water troughs, it sends back a torrent of water. But the plane’s been designed with splash back in mind — its engines are situated beyond the splash zone.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees