Watch How Boeing’s 737 MAX Gets Wet-Runway Certified
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Building a commercial aircraft is no simple task; it takes many years of designing, testing and more to bring an airliner to market. Some — wind tunnel tests, for one — you’ve probably heard of, but others are far more obscure. The water ingestion test featured in this crazy aviation video might fall into that latter category. It tests a very real scenario — a water-drenched runway — that could prove troublesome for our big metal birds.
The threat of water damage is all too real for airplanes — if water were to find its way into places it shouldn’t be (and in quantities beyond the expected) the plane’s engines could surge, stall or even flame out. This video showcases the Boeing 737 MAX going through the motions as a maintenance crew watches from the the side of the runway. As the near-takeoff-speed 737 passes through prepositioned water troughs, it sends back a torrent of water. But the plane’s been designed with splash back in mind — its engines are situated beyond the splash zone.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.