This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Building a commercial aircraft is no simple task; it takes many years of designing, testing and more to bring an airliner to market. Some — wind tunnel tests, for one — you’ve probably heard of, but others are far more obscure. The water ingestion test featured in this crazy aviation video might fall into that latter category. It tests a very real scenario — a water-drenched runway — that could prove troublesome for our big metal birds.
The threat of water damage is all too real for airplanes — if water were to find its way into places it shouldn’t be (and in quantities beyond the expected) the plane’s engines could surge, stall or even flame out. This video showcases the Boeing 737 MAX going through the motions as a maintenance crew watches from the the side of the runway. As the near-takeoff-speed 737 passes through prepositioned water troughs, it sends back a torrent of water. But the plane’s been designed with splash back in mind — its engines are situated beyond the splash zone.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees