Amex Improves Transfer Rate From Membership Rewards to British Airways Avios
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in October 2015, American Express Membership Rewards devalued the transfer ratio to British Airways Avios. Instead of being able to transfer points 1:1, the transfer rate was dropped to 250 Membership Rewards = 200 Avios. The transfer rate has stayed at this point ever since, with only the rare bonus making it a better deal.
Well, without fanfare, it looks like the old 1:1 ratio is back! Spencer Howard first pointed out the situation this afternoon on Twitter:
We checked out our Membership Rewards accounts to see if Spencer was just a lucky member. But, our accounts also show the new 250:250 transfer ratio:
To confirm that a transfer wouldn’t error out, I transferred the minimum number of 250 Membership Rewards to Avios:
The transfer was successful, and the points immediately posted to my Avios account — as expected:
TPG reached out to American Express to inquire if this is a limited time offer or the new normal. Just before publication, we heard the good news: The change is permanent!
American Express now leads the industry in reward program partners
Today, two of Amex’s Membership Rewards airline transfer partners, British Airways and Iberia, are increasing the transfer ratio for their rewards program, Avios. The transfer is increasing from a 5:4 to a 1:1 transfer ratio.
With this update, Amex’s Membership Rewards program now offers the most 1:1 airline transfer partners – 11 in total.
Membership Rewards now also offers Card Members the opportunity to transfer points to 21 reward program partners, which is more than any other U.S. credit card rewards program.
Best Uses of Avios
What might you want to do with those Avios? Due to high fuel surcharges on British Airways’ own flights, you’ll be best off redeeming for travel on BA’s partners — you’ll get the best deal on short-haul flights. I’ve personally scored a one-way from Hong Kong (HKG) to Taipei (TPE) for just 4,500 Avios — a flight that often runs ~$500 one-way. Back in the States, you can use Avios to book American Airlines flights under 1,151 miles in length for just 7,500 Avios in economy or just 15,000 Avios in domestic first class.
West Coast flyers can use Avios to book flights to Hawaii via Alaska Airlines or American Airlines for just 12,500 Avios each way. Don’t feel left out East Coast flyers; you can fly from seven different cities to Dublin (DUB) for just 13,000 Avios one-way during off-peak periods.
Or, you can transfer Membership Rewards to Iberia Avios for steals like 25,500 Avios one-way in premium economy between New York’s JFK and Madrid (MAD).
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees