Marriott and Starwood Add ‘Master Class’ Experiential Moments
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 10/4/17: TPG social media editor Samantha Rosen had an opportunity to join one of Marriott’s Master Classes, with chef Daniel Boulud in New York City.
At the event, she toured the kitchen with none other than Daniel Boulud himself — and even snagged a picture with the celebrity chef.
He and his staff helped Master Class participants prepare one of five courses for this truly one-of-a-kind dining experience. Each dish was paired with a wine tasting, making each course even more memorable.
She left with a full stomach — and a signed cookbook.
Since the close of the Starwood and Marriott deal, we’ve learned that they’re (slowly) working toward one, unified rewards program. In the meantime, members of the Starwood Preferred Guest program and the Marriott Rewards program can link their accounts, get reciprocal status and transfer their points between programs, along with a few other benefits. Of course, the rest will take some time.
But beginning today, SPG and Marriott are launching new experiential moments called “master classes,” which will be available on both SPG Moments and Marriott Rewards Moments platforms. The master classes are labeled as one-of-a-kind learning experiences that are “designed to be highly personal interactions with superstars in sports, culinary, entertainment and lifestyle.”
- NBA Skills Training with Dwayne Wade at the JW Marriott Marquis Miami
- Cooking Lessons with Eric Ripert at the Cayman Cookout Hosted by The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman
- Surf Lessons with Laird Hamilton at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa in Florida
- Culinary Experience with Chef Paco Pérez at Hotel Arts Barcelona
- Two-Day Golf Clinic with Annika Sörenstam at The Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe
- Golf Lessons with Padraig Harrington at The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay in California
- Golf Skills Clinic with Thomas Bjorn at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, Benahavis, Marbella, Spain
- Underwater Conservation with Jean-Michel Cousteau at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, Hawaii
In addition, SPG and Marriott will continue to add more master classes in the coming weeks and months. They’ll include the possibility of some unique experiences, such as partnerships with the NFL and NBA, the Sound Suite at the W hotels and much more.
On the Marriott Moments site, which has a specific master classes subsection, you’ll notice that some of the events can be bought outright with points while others are auctions. Keep in mind that you can transfer points between the two programs at a 1:3 ratio — each Starpoint is equivalent to three Marriott points.
Featured image courtesy of Westend61 via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees