How to Combine Your Marriott and SPG Accounts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: The 60,000-point pricing detailed below is no longer available as of March 5, 2019. For details on Marriott redemption options, please visit How to Redeem Points With the Marriott Bonvoy Program.
As you’re probably well aware by now, Saturday was the day the fully unified Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and SPG loyalty program launched as one. Between the websites going offline, elite status levels not displaying correctly and difficulty booking high-end all-suites properties at the new (lower) rates of 60,000 Marriott points per night, the merger process hasn’t been entirely smooth sailing. However, lots of progress has been made, including 60,000-point all-suites properties becoming bookable.
Starting today, you can combine your Marriott and SPG accounts. This allows you to merge all of your rewards into a single account, and depending on how many elite nights you have in each account, possibly get bumped to a higher status level, as opposed to just having your status matched.
Keep in mind, however, that you should not combine your accounts if you’re just shy of earning lifetime elite status under the old SPG program. If you’ve been chasing lifetime elite status with SPG, but will miss the lifetime requirement by a single year, you could earn two years of status by achieving the respective legacy statuses of both Marriott and SPG before the end of 2018.
1. Go to the Account Merging Tool
The first step of the process is deciding which online profile you want to keep. If you prefer to keep your Marriott login, access the tool via Marriott’s site; if you prefer to keep your SPG login, access via SPG’s site. (Note, although Marriott and SPG still have their own sites, they both share a Marriott.com URL) For this example, we’ve decided to keep our SPG profile.
If you’re still seeing a “Coming Soon” icon, rather than “Get Started,” try these tricks:
- Clear your cookies
- Open private/incognito mode
- Use a different browser
2. Sign in to the Account You Want to Keep
The rest of the process is very straightforward. You’ll essentially just be signing in to both of your accounts, confirming details and hitting a “confirm” button.
3. Sign in to Your Other Account
4. Confirm Details
Take note of your new credentials, as the one from the account being merged will no longer be active.
4. Click Confirm
5. Voilà, That’s It!
After you hit confirm, it’s time to say goodbye to your extra account. Since we decided to keep our SPG account for this example, we will no longer be able to sign in using the Marriott account attached to it.
Unless you’re just shy of earning lifetime elite status under the old SPG program, there’s no reason not to combine your Marriott and SPG accounts. The process is very simple and the merger process is quick. Points, lifetime nights, elite status and upcoming reservations are instantly transferred. Suite night awards, free night certificates, past activity and mobile key and guest services transfer within 72 hours.
Featured photos by.
The Points Guy has comprehensive coverage of the new Marriott loyalty program — read all our stories at “The New Marriott.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees