Today Marks Seven Years of The Points Guy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Seven years ago today, I hit publish on my first-ever blog post, having no idea what was about to be created would change my life (and that of many others) forever.
At the time, I started the site as a way to generate business for my side gig of booking award tickets. With the award booking, I would charge clients $50 for consulting — to help them use points and miles for epic getaways. By day, I was working in human resources full time at Morgan Stanley. After work, I would head home and book clients’ trips; it started out as a simple hobby. I really never thought I’d leave my career for a blog designed to make some extra cash. But here we are in 2017, and we have a buzzing new office in Manhattan’s Flatiron District, and we recently crossed the four million monthly unique visitors mark.
Over the past seven years, we’ve:
- Logged more than 186 million visits and 313 million pageviews from more than 75 million unique visitors since the site’s inception
- Surprised readers with more than $99,000 and 2.9 million points and miles in giveaways
- Built our team from one employee to 16 full-time TPG staffers and five summer interns (and hiring more)
- Published 12,567 blog posts as of today
- Watched our readers spend more than 363,443,160 minutes on the site
- Grew our Facebook page following to more than 1.5 million likes
For us, the growing doesn’t stop there — 2017 is the year of the upgrade. Back in January, we launched a brand new and easy-to-use website, and we moved into our new office. We’re continuing to work toward innovating the brand and the site as a whole, improving the reader experience and the content every day. This summer, you’ll see a review on the site every day — whether that’s a flight review, hotel, app, lounge, credit card or much more. Plus, we’ll continue to cover all of the topics you’ve come to trust TPG to cover, from deal alerts to news reports to loyalty-program guides to deep dives into how to maximize points and miles.
To celebrate these fantastic seven years, we’re giving away seven prizes to readers — seven of my favorite things. I’ll be giving each of these out in a Facebook live today at 5:30pm ET, so be sure to tune in for your chance to win something. Plus, there’s always room for some surprise giveaways, too. Here are our seven giveaways:
- Two round-trip first-class tickets to Hawaii using 80,000 Alaska miles each (160,000 miles total)
- A dinner party for seven — you, me and five of your friends to be scheduled when I’m in a city near you
- $250 AWAY luggage gift certificate and a carry-on filled with TPG swag and socks
- Delta Silver Medallion status or a Delta Sky Club membership for 12 months
- $700 in Hotel Tonight credits
- Seven Global Entry/TSA PreCheck memberships for you and six of your family/friends (pending approval)
- An office visit and free points consultation (or via Skype if you don’t have plans to be in NYC)
I want to sincerely thank you, our readers, for supporting me for the past seven years. I know I won’t always get it right, but I do promise that I’ll always listen. So please, send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also be sure to follow us on social media — Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. And, if you have any tips in the points and miles world, email email@example.com. Here’s to seven (and many more) years!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees