This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Attention anyone planning to fly with British Airways this summer: the carrier’s cabin crew just announced they will stage a two-week strike starting July 1, part of an ongoing battle over wages. Mixed fleet cabin crew, the ones striking during this period, are on a contract that’s typically paid less than the legacy BA Worldwide fleet crew members, although they fly on the same short- and long-haul routes.
Flights expected to be affected by the strike include both long-haul routes from London to Miami (MIA), Cape Town (CPT), Bangkok (BKK), Singapore (SIN) and Sydney (SYD), as well as short-haul routes to Helsinki (HEL), Lisbon (LIS), Paris (ORY), Vienna (VIE) and Warsaw (WAW), among others.
The impact of this strike is likely to be far worse than others, due to the fact that it’s scheduled to run for two whole weeks at the height of the busy summer travel season. This could also do more damage to British Airways’ worldwide route network as it works to recover from the outage it suffered just a few weeks ago.
If you’re worried about disruptions and have flights booked over the first two weeks of July, keep in mind that British Airways is a member of the Oneworld alliance, so there are 14 partner airlines — including Iberia, Finnair and American Airlines — to choose from. This also means that often on popular routes like New York to London, partner airlines are flying just as frequently as British Airways, so depending on your ticket flexibility, you might be able to switch to one that’s flying the same route just in case the strike isn’t called off. Otherwise, it’s probably best to wait for BA to explain what its plan will be for the strike period, information that will include rebooking options and other policies regarding refunds. Stay tuned to TPG for more details.
Featured image courtesy of Jeff Garrish/British Airways.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*