American Airlines Is Expanding Its Special Meals Options
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Currently, AA offers passengers the following selections when it comes to special meals: diabetic, gluten intolerant, Kosher, Muslim and vegan. However, as of July 1, 2017, American will expand its special meal program to include the following (American hasn’t published the new options online yet, so descriptions are from British Airways on AA’s site):
- Hindu meal — Does not contain beef, beef derivatives, veal or pork. It is not a meatless meal.
- Asian vegetarian meal — Does not contain fish, shellfish, meat, poultry or eggs. It is a meatless meal and spicy in content.
- Low fat/low cholesterol meal — High fiber meal with reduced amounts of fat.
- Lacto-ovo meal — Does not contain meat, fish or seafood. May contain dairy products such as milk, butter, cheese and eggs, etc.
- Low sodium meal — Excludes use of salt, MSG and baking soda/powder. Instead, herbs and spices are used to flavor the meal.
- Non-lactose meal — Excludes cheese, dairy products and their derivatives and lactose or milk products.
- Baby’s meal — Baby food and baby milk.
- Child’s — Contains a combination of familiar and fun foods.
- Bland meal — For those with digestive tract and gut disorders. Excludes mustard, pickles, garlic, fried and fatty food.
If you’re interested in ordering a special meal, you can order 24 hours in advance of your departure time. However, only select customers have access to the new menu. First and business-class passengers on the following nonstop routes will have access to the new special meals:
- New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO)
- Miami (MIA) to LAX
- All Hawaii and domestic long-haul flights more than 2,200 miles
In addition, all passengers — regardless of class of service — will have access to the special meals when traveling to or from any of the following destinations:
- Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand
- Belo Horizonte (CNF), Brasilia (BSB), Rio de Janeiro (GIG) and Sao Paulo (GRU) in Brazil
- Buenos Aires (EZE) in Argentina
- Santiago (SCL) in Chile
- Montevideo (MVD) in Uruguay
We like seeing AA provide more option for passengers with dietary restrictions. Earlier this year, the carrier also announced it would be adding free meals to economy passengers on some domestic flights. Keep in mind that these new options won’t be available until July 1, 2017. If you want to order one of the new meals, be sure to request your meal in advance of the flight to ensure what you want is available.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.