American Airlines Is Expanding Its Special Meals Options
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Currently, AA offers passengers the following selections when it comes to special meals: diabetic, gluten intolerant, Kosher, Muslim and vegan. However, as of July 1, 2017, American will expand its special meal program to include the following (American hasn’t published the new options online yet, so descriptions are from British Airways on AA’s site):
- Hindu meal — Does not contain beef, beef derivatives, veal or pork. It is not a meatless meal.
- Asian vegetarian meal — Does not contain fish, shellfish, meat, poultry or eggs. It is a meatless meal and spicy in content.
- Low fat/low cholesterol meal — High fiber meal with reduced amounts of fat.
- Lacto-ovo meal — Does not contain meat, fish or seafood. May contain dairy products such as milk, butter, cheese and eggs, etc.
- Low sodium meal — Excludes use of salt, MSG and baking soda/powder. Instead, herbs and spices are used to flavor the meal.
- Non-lactose meal — Excludes cheese, dairy products and their derivatives and lactose or milk products.
- Baby’s meal — Baby food and baby milk.
- Child’s — Contains a combination of familiar and fun foods.
- Bland meal — For those with digestive tract and gut disorders. Excludes mustard, pickles, garlic, fried and fatty food.
If you’re interested in ordering a special meal, you can order 24 hours in advance of your departure time. However, only select customers have access to the new menu. First and business-class passengers on the following nonstop routes will have access to the new special meals:
- New York (JFK) to Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO)
- Miami (MIA) to LAX
- All Hawaii and domestic long-haul flights more than 2,200 miles
In addition, all passengers — regardless of class of service — will have access to the special meals when traveling to or from any of the following destinations:
- Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand
- Belo Horizonte (CNF), Brasilia (BSB), Rio de Janeiro (GIG) and Sao Paulo (GRU) in Brazil
- Buenos Aires (EZE) in Argentina
- Santiago (SCL) in Chile
- Montevideo (MVD) in Uruguay
We like seeing AA provide more option for passengers with dietary restrictions. Earlier this year, the carrier also announced it would be adding free meals to economy passengers on some domestic flights. Keep in mind that these new options won’t be available until July 1, 2017. If you want to order one of the new meals, be sure to request your meal in advance of the flight to ensure what you want is available.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees