This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever wondered what it’s like inside the cockpit of a commercial airliner? I recall visiting the cockpit of a Boeing 747 mid-flight at age four and being blown away by the breathtaking views over the Pacific Ocean. Today, however, increased security measures mean access is generally limited to pre-takeoff and post-landing visits with the permission of the flight crew.
Luckily, you don’t actually need to sit in the cockpit anymore to take in stunning panoramic views. These nine pilots will give you a peek behind closed doors and around the world through their Instagram accounts.
What do you get when you put a photographer in the pilot’s seat of an Airbus A380? Well-shot and beautifully edited photos that belong on your bedroom wall.
Follow A320 Captain Karim Nafatni as he takes you along for the ride on his flights around the Middle East. We especially love the time-lapse videos of his landings, as well as his motivational quotes that accompany every post.
Captain Troy Booker has 21 years of experience in flying both military aircraft and commercial airliners. His passion for vintage aircraft and model photography make for a truly unique account.
Eser Aksan Erdogan is a 31-year-old pilot for Turkey’s low-cost Pegasus Airlines, piloting the Boeing 737 to locations in Europe and the Middle East. Speaking to The Mirror, she said:
“Being a pilot was my childhood dream. I was kind of a tomboy so I always wanted to fly an F16, but since I’m against war, violence and armies, flying big jets is so much better.”
We love the sense of humor this “Boeing 777 driver” brings with his photos, which are by no means taken by a “very average photographer.” In the cockpit, he either spends his “quiet-time in the jump seat to develop excuses for [my] subpar landings,” or listens to the skipper’s rich people problems, like when he “bought a 60″ TV but it didn’t fit in the Porsche.”
Although he’s an A380 pilot, Khalifa Al-Thani is clearly a fan of “the whale’s” younger and smaller sibling, the A350. We’re fans of his aerial photos of the cities he flies over, reminding us once again that pilots really do have the best seat in the plane.
Join this Hong Kong-based pilot as he recounts his time flying the Boeing 747 and presently the Airbus A330. We think he has some of the best cockpit images on Instagram — they’re totally worth your time. Oh, and look out for his Rolex that makes appearances every so often.
Spain-based First Officer Helen Van Dam’s countless smiling selfies will definitely brighten your day and serve as a reminder that she has the best job in the world.
Captain Tom Cross is our favorite selfie stick-wielding Australian pilot. Join him as he brings you on an adventure across the beaches of Australia, the cockpit and the occasional first-class flight on Etihad and Emirates.
Are there any other pilot Instagram accounts that you love? Tell us about them in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Isannes via Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees