This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever wondered what it’s like inside the cockpit of a commercial airliner? I recall visiting the cockpit of a Boeing 747 mid-flight at age four and being blown away by the breathtaking views over the Pacific Ocean. Today, however, increased security measures mean access is generally limited to pre-takeoff and post-landing visits with the permission of the flight crew.
Luckily, you don’t actually need to sit in the cockpit anymore to take in stunning panoramic views. These nine pilots will give you a peek behind closed doors and around the world through their Instagram accounts.
What do you get when you put a photographer in the pilot’s seat of an Airbus A380? Well-shot and beautifully edited photos that belong on your bedroom wall.
Follow A320 Captain Karim Nafatni as he takes you along for the ride on his flights around the Middle East. We especially love the time-lapse videos of his landings, as well as his motivational quotes that accompany every post.
Captain Troy Booker has 21 years of experience in flying both military aircraft and commercial airliners. His passion for vintage aircraft and model photography make for a truly unique account.
Eser Aksan Erdogan is a 31-year-old pilot for Turkey’s low-cost Pegasus Airlines, piloting the Boeing 737 to locations in Europe and the Middle East. Speaking to The Mirror, she said:
“Being a pilot was my childhood dream. I was kind of a tomboy so I always wanted to fly an F16, but since I’m against war, violence and armies, flying big jets is so much better.”
We love the sense of humor this “Boeing 777 driver” brings with his photos, which are by no means taken by a “very average photographer.” In the cockpit, he either spends his “quiet-time in the jump seat to develop excuses for [my] subpar landings,” or listens to the skipper’s rich people problems, like when he “bought a 60″ TV but it didn’t fit in the Porsche.”
Although he’s an A380 pilot, Khalifa Al-Thani is clearly a fan of “the whale’s” younger and smaller sibling, the A350. We’re fans of his aerial photos of the cities he flies over, reminding us once again that pilots really do have the best seat in the plane.
Join this Hong Kong-based pilot as he recounts his time flying the Boeing 747 and presently the Airbus A330. We think he has some of the best cockpit images on Instagram — they’re totally worth your time. Oh, and look out for his Rolex that makes appearances every so often.
Spain-based First Officer Helen Van Dam’s countless smiling selfies will definitely brighten your day and serve as a reminder that she has the best job in the world.
Captain Tom Cross is our favorite selfie stick-wielding Australian pilot. Join him as he brings you on an adventure across the beaches of Australia, the cockpit and the occasional first-class flight on Etihad and Emirates.
Are there any other pilot Instagram accounts that you love? Tell us about them in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Isannes via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees