New Parents Can Extend Their Mileage Plan Status With Alaska Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just in time for Mother’s Day, Alaska Airlines is announcing a new benefit of the Mileage Plan program that’ll make new parents smile. Effective today, Alaska Airlines elites who are new parents can put their status on hold with a new Elite Leave program.
Here’s how it works: If you’re a new parent who’s also an Alaska elite, you’ll be able to put your status on hold for one year during your pregnancy or parental leave. Once the year has passed, you’ll pick your status right back up and resume working toward requalification.
In order to get the Elite Leave, you’ll need to email Alaska at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, date of birth, Mileage Plan number and proof of pregnancy or parental leave (a note from your doctor or employer will do). Alaska will review your information and if you’re eligible, your status will be extended through the following year.
According to the terms and conditions, Mileage Plan members who are MVP, MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75K and go on parental leave any time starting in 2017 are eligible for the Elite Leave. For example, a current (2017) MVP member who takes parental leave that ends in 2018 will get MVP status through 2019. Those who have received gifted status or earned status through a match are not eligible for Elite Leave. Qualifying types of parental leave include maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
Overall, this is a nice addition to the Mileage Plan program from Alaska. New parents seldom have time to get out, let alone travel enough to requalify for elite status. This announcement comes just a few days after British Airways announced a similar program — and both Air Canada and Qantas already have parental leave programs for their frequent flyers. Hopefully this is a trend that other airlines follow.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees