New Parents Can Extend Their Elite Status With British Airways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, we told you how both Air Canada and Qantas are now offering elite status holds for new parents. With the added benefit, elite members and new parents from the respective frequent flyer programs can put their status on hold while they take time off from traveling to spend it with their kids. Now, British Airways is the latest carrier to offer such a program.
BA announced the new benefit on its website. In the message, BA is letting Executive Club members know that if you’re in the middle of a maternity, paternity or adoption leave, you can put your account on hold for one year to protect your status. When in the hectic stages of becoming a parent, it can be hard to find the time to travel with a goal of retaining elite status.
In order to be eligible for the status hold, you need to be a Bronze, Silver or Gold status member. You’ll also need to provide a letter from your doctor, a birth certificate or documentation related to the adoption or paternity leave. Once you have the proper documentation, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email, be sure to also include your name and Executive Club number. If you’re accepted, BA will also give your baby 1,000 Avios when you enroll them in your Household Account.
There’s a maximum of two approved applications per Executive Club member every five years. If you’re approved and you still fly, you’ll continue to collect Tier Points and Avios as well as enjoying elite benefits. If, during the period, you reach a higher level of elite status, you’ll get that new status and the “held” status will expire.
Especially in recent months, BA has been on a kick of reducing perks that travelers have come to expect, such as scaling back meal service on some transatlantic flights, so it’s nice to see the carrier (finally) make a positive change for its flyers.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.