New Parents Can Extend Their Elite Status With British Airways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, we told you how both Air Canada and Qantas are now offering elite status holds for new parents. With the added benefit, elite members and new parents from the respective frequent flyer programs can put their status on hold while they take time off from traveling to spend it with their kids. Now, British Airways is the latest carrier to offer such a program.
BA announced the new benefit on its website. In the message, BA is letting Executive Club members know that if you’re in the middle of a maternity, paternity or adoption leave, you can put your account on hold for one year to protect your status. When in the hectic stages of becoming a parent, it can be hard to find the time to travel with a goal of retaining elite status.
In order to be eligible for the status hold, you need to be a Bronze, Silver or Gold status member. You’ll also need to provide a letter from your doctor, a birth certificate or documentation related to the adoption or paternity leave. Once you have the proper documentation, email it to email@example.com. In the email, be sure to also include your name and Executive Club number. If you’re accepted, BA will also give your baby 1,000 Avios when you enroll them in your Household Account.
There’s a maximum of two approved applications per Executive Club member every five years. If you’re approved and you still fly, you’ll continue to collect Tier Points and Avios as well as enjoying elite benefits. If, during the period, you reach a higher level of elite status, you’ll get that new status and the “held” status will expire.
Especially in recent months, BA has been on a kick of reducing perks that travelers have come to expect, such as scaling back meal service on some transatlantic flights, so it’s nice to see the carrier (finally) make a positive change for its flyers.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees