New Parents Can Extend Their Elite Status With British Airways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, we told you how both Air Canada and Qantas are now offering elite status holds for new parents. With the added benefit, elite members and new parents from the respective frequent flyer programs can put their status on hold while they take time off from traveling to spend it with their kids. Now, British Airways is the latest carrier to offer such a program.
BA announced the new benefit on its website. In the message, BA is letting Executive Club members know that if you’re in the middle of a maternity, paternity or adoption leave, you can put your account on hold for one year to protect your status. When in the hectic stages of becoming a parent, it can be hard to find the time to travel with a goal of retaining elite status.
In order to be eligible for the status hold, you need to be a Bronze, Silver or Gold status member. You’ll also need to provide a letter from your doctor, a birth certificate or documentation related to the adoption or paternity leave. Once you have the proper documentation, email it to email@example.com. In the email, be sure to also include your name and Executive Club number. If you’re accepted, BA will also give your baby 1,000 Avios when you enroll them in your Household Account.
There’s a maximum of two approved applications per Executive Club member every five years. If you’re approved and you still fly, you’ll continue to collect Tier Points and Avios as well as enjoying elite benefits. If, during the period, you reach a higher level of elite status, you’ll get that new status and the “held” status will expire.
Especially in recent months, BA has been on a kick of reducing perks that travelers have come to expect, such as scaling back meal service on some transatlantic flights, so it’s nice to see the carrier (finally) make a positive change for its flyers.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.