This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Typically, the most exciting videos from St. Maarten (SXM) are of low landings or loud takeoffs that feature precarious passes over Maho Beach and thrill-seekers daring to challenge the jet blast of departing flights. Sometimes, on rarer occasions, winds at the airport will shift, and flights will actually take off toward the beach. Much like landings that fly low over the beach, takeoffs are loud, up close and personal, and sometimes, they become just a little too intimate.
In this crazy aviation video, watch a spectacular (and rather terrifying) departure out of SXM that rivals some of the craziest videos we’ve shared. We’ll let the video speak for itself, but this Fokker flight uses practically every inch of the runway before lifting off the ground, barely clearing the airport’s perimeter fence and the beachgoers watching just feet away. Perhaps it’s just the angle, but it actually looks like the plane’s landing gear came perilously close to taking out onlookers who duck for cover as the airplane passes above. We don’t know the full story, but the plane may have been heavier than pilots realized, or perhaps they performed a shortened takeoff — or it may be a combination of the two. Thankfully, no one was hurt by this high-stakes takeoff.
Fokker 70 despegando de Sint Maarten… 🎥 Blair Chenault pic.twitter.com/duDHqdxCAK
— Controladores Aéreos (@controladores) March 25, 2017
Featured image of Princess Juliana Airport (SXM) courtesy of Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards