The Craziest Video From St. Maarten You’ve Never Seen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Typically, the most exciting videos from St. Maarten (SXM) are of low landings or loud takeoffs that feature precarious passes over Maho Beach and thrill-seekers daring to challenge the jet blast of departing flights. Sometimes, on rarer occasions, winds at the airport will shift, and flights will actually take off toward the beach. Much like landings that fly low over the beach, takeoffs are loud, up close and personal, and sometimes, they become just a little too intimate.
In this crazy aviation video, watch a spectacular (and rather terrifying) departure out of SXM that rivals some of the craziest videos we’ve shared. We’ll let the video speak for itself, but this Fokker flight uses practically every inch of the runway before lifting off the ground, barely clearing the airport’s perimeter fence and the beachgoers watching just feet away. Perhaps it’s just the angle, but it actually looks like the plane’s landing gear came perilously close to taking out onlookers who duck for cover as the airplane passes above. We don’t know the full story, but the plane may have been heavier than pilots realized, or perhaps they performed a shortened takeoff — or it may be a combination of the two. Thankfully, no one was hurt by this high-stakes takeoff.
Fokker 70 despegando de Sint Maarten… ? Blair Chenault pic.twitter.com/duDHqdxCAK
— Controladores Aéreos (@controladores) March 25, 2017
World’s Largest Prop Creates Sandstorm
Featured image of Princess Juliana Airport (SXM) courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees