The Craziest Video From St. Maarten You’ve Never Seen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Typically, the most exciting videos from St. Maarten (SXM) are of low landings or loud takeoffs that feature precarious passes over Maho Beach and thrill-seekers daring to challenge the jet blast of departing flights. Sometimes, on rarer occasions, winds at the airport will shift, and flights will actually take off toward the beach. Much like landings that fly low over the beach, takeoffs are loud, up close and personal, and sometimes, they become just a little too intimate.
In this crazy aviation video, watch a spectacular (and rather terrifying) departure out of SXM that rivals some of the craziest videos we’ve shared. We’ll let the video speak for itself, but this Fokker flight uses practically every inch of the runway before lifting off the ground, barely clearing the airport’s perimeter fence and the beachgoers watching just feet away. Perhaps it’s just the angle, but it actually looks like the plane’s landing gear came perilously close to taking out onlookers who duck for cover as the airplane passes above. We don’t know the full story, but the plane may have been heavier than pilots realized, or perhaps they performed a shortened takeoff — or it may be a combination of the two. Thankfully, no one was hurt by this high-stakes takeoff.
Fokker 70 despegando de Sint Maarten… 🎥 Blair Chenault pic.twitter.com/duDHqdxCAK
— Controladores Aéreos (@controladores) March 25, 2017
Featured image of Princess Juliana Airport (SXM) courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.