The Craziest Video From St. Maarten You’ve Never Seen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Typically, the most exciting videos from St. Maarten (SXM) are of low landings or loud takeoffs that feature precarious passes over Maho Beach and thrill-seekers daring to challenge the jet blast of departing flights. Sometimes, on rarer occasions, winds at the airport will shift, and flights will actually take off toward the beach. Much like landings that fly low over the beach, takeoffs are loud, up close and personal, and sometimes, they become just a little too intimate.
In this crazy aviation video, watch a spectacular (and rather terrifying) departure out of SXM that rivals some of the craziest videos we’ve shared. We’ll let the video speak for itself, but this Fokker flight uses practically every inch of the runway before lifting off the ground, barely clearing the airport’s perimeter fence and the beachgoers watching just feet away. Perhaps it’s just the angle, but it actually looks like the plane’s landing gear came perilously close to taking out onlookers who duck for cover as the airplane passes above. We don’t know the full story, but the plane may have been heavier than pilots realized, or perhaps they performed a shortened takeoff — or it may be a combination of the two. Thankfully, no one was hurt by this high-stakes takeoff.
Fokker 70 despegando de Sint Maarten… 🎥 Blair Chenault pic.twitter.com/duDHqdxCAK
— Controladores Aéreos (@controladores) March 25, 2017
Featured image of Princess Juliana Airport (SXM) courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.