This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever wonder how huge airports manage to safely land one plane after another, spaced only a minute apart? In big cities with crowded airspace, commercial jets routinely follow one of many STAR arrival procedures, or “Standard Terminal Arrivals.” Think of STARs as a conceptual highway that planes follow while descending towards an airport, complete with speed limits and altitude requirements. STARs are essential to modern aviation because, like highways, they keep all arriving airplanes on a pre-determined route, making it much easier (and therefore much safer) for ATC to handle such enormous volume of fast-moving air traffic.
In this crazy aviation video, watch an American Airlines jet perform what is likely the tail end of a STAR during a nighttime arrival, beginning west of downtown Chicago, passing over the Loop (the city’s Central Business District) and ultimately turning to the Northwest towards O’Hare International Airport (ORD). As the plane approaches, we get panoramic views of the Windy City and its massive street grid and the seemingly endless Lake Michigan looming east of the Loop.
What’s the most stunning nighttime landing you’ve witnessed? Let us know in the comments, below.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards