This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Soon, all eyes in the aviation industry will be turning to the Paris Air Show. This blockbuster event, held on odd-numbered years (as opposed to the Farnborough Air Show which is held on even-numbered years), attracts commercial and military aviation representatives from around the globe, along with thousands of press and aviation enthusiasts.
Aircraft manufacturers and test pilots treat these airshows like a showcase — they prepare and train to highlight the very best in their products. By the time the week-long show comes to a close, interested airlines and other prospective buyers often close deals on aircraft orders, which can sometimes be comprised of hundreds of aircraft. In other words, these prestigious airshows are critical for manufacturers to attract uncertain customers, and they’re willing to push their aircraft to (or beyond) their limits to do so.
In this crazy aviation video, watch test pilots demonstrate the incredible capability of the Boeing 787-9 from takeoff to landing in Vietnam Airlines’ beautiful livery prior to the 2015 Paris show. We love the whole video, but if there’s a single stand out moment, we’d have to say it’s around the 38-second mark, when the Dreamliner rockets up at what appears to be a near ninety-degree angle, imitating the maneuvers of much smaller and more agile fighter jets. We’re still over a month away from the June 19 start date, but this video should excite all my fellow #avgeeks out there for whatever’s to come this year.
What are you most excited to see at this year’s Paris Air Show?
- Watch one of the most challenging landings in the world
- Watch a landing Emirates 777 use pressure to “paint”
- Pilots View: Stunning Nighttime Chicago Approach
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees