This Crazy 787 Takeoff Proves Just How Powerful Airliners Can Be
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Soon, all eyes in the aviation industry will be turning to the Paris Air Show. This blockbuster event, held on odd-numbered years (as opposed to the Farnborough Air Show which is held on even-numbered years), attracts commercial and military aviation representatives from around the globe, along with thousands of press and aviation enthusiasts.
Aircraft manufacturers and test pilots treat these airshows like a showcase — they prepare and train to highlight the very best in their products. By the time the week-long show comes to a close, interested airlines and other prospective buyers often close deals on aircraft orders, which can sometimes be comprised of hundreds of aircraft. In other words, these prestigious airshows are critical for manufacturers to attract uncertain customers, and they’re willing to push their aircraft to (or beyond) their limits to do so.
In this crazy aviation video, watch test pilots demonstrate the incredible capability of the Boeing 787-9 from takeoff to landing in Vietnam Airlines’ beautiful livery prior to the 2015 Paris show. We love the whole video, but if there’s a single stand out moment, we’d have to say it’s around the 38-second mark, when the Dreamliner rockets up at what appears to be a near ninety-degree angle, imitating the maneuvers of much smaller and more agile fighter jets. We’re still over a month away from the June 19 start date, but this video should excite all my fellow #avgeeks out there for whatever’s to come this year.
What are you most excited to see at this year’s Paris Air Show?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees