Watch This Emirates 777 Paint the Sky With Pressure
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sometimes, right after takeoff or just before landing, you may notice translucent white streaks flowing from the wing. And no, I’m not talking about the white vapor contrails that you see jetting out of aircraft, cruising tens of thousands of feet up…
Whereas contrails are largely the result of water vapor freezing and condensing, these streaks are different. In short, the vortices you see (or may see as swirling air behind an approaching aircraft) are generated from pressure differentials from above and below the wings, and are associated with a certain kind of turbulence aircraft (particularly larger ones) create — called “wake turbulence.”
In this crazy aviation video, you can witness the result first hand. As you’ll see, from the right angle, the effect is stunning. The vortices look like brushstrokes in the sky. In this particular example, we see an Emirates 777 landing in Birmingham, England (BHX). Along with the vortices behind the wings, notice them over the wings during the flare, right before touch down. Some conspiracists will argue that these vortices are chem trails, employed by the government to turn us into mindless zombies… I’d respectfully disagree with them. Whoever you believe, I think we can all appreciate their beauty.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees