Tip: Get Quick Border Control Access in Germany for Free With EasyPASS-RTP
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve got Global Entry, you’re probably used to speeding through US immigration. But, when you’re entering another country, you still potentially have to deal with long lines. While we’ve written about fast-track arrivals programs other countries offer, there’s one that seems to be especially overlooked: Germany’s EasyPASS-RTP.
Once enrolled, Americans (and citizens of Hong Kong) can enter the European Union in Germany using the automated gates typically only available to citizens of the EU. And, unlike Global Entry, it’s free to enroll in EasyPASS. For me, it’s already come in handy — cutting around 15 minutes off of both my arrival in Frankfurt (FRA) last November and my arrival in Berlin (TXL) last week.
Want to “cut the line” for future trips to Germany? Here’s the process to enroll:
- You must apply in person. So, the next time you’re in Germany, head to one of five Germany airports (Hamburg [HAM], Berlin-Tegel [TXL], Dusseldorf [DUS], Frankfurt [FRA], Munich[MUC]) with an enrollment center.
- Head to the German federal police office and ask to enroll in EasyPASS.
- The process, which includes a quick interview and filling out a couple of forms, takes about 10 minutes from start to finish.
It’s that easy. If approved, you’ll immediately have access to any of the automated EasyPASS eGates in seven German airports (FRA, MUC, Cologne [CGN], DUS, Berlin-Schönefeld [SXF], TXL and HAM). And, you’ll be able to continue to use these gates every time you enter Germany through the end of the validity of your passport.
Here’s a quick video on how the eGates work:
Featured image courtesy of the Bundespolizei (German Federal Police).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.