Tip: Get Quick Border Control Access in Germany for Free With EasyPASS-RTP
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve got Global Entry, you’re probably used to speeding through US immigration. But, when you’re entering another country, you still potentially have to deal with long lines. While we’ve written about fast-track arrivals programs other countries offer, there’s one that seems to be especially overlooked: Germany’s EasyPASS-RTP.
Once enrolled, Americans (and citizens of Hong Kong) can enter the European Union in Germany using the automated gates typically only available to citizens of the EU. And, unlike Global Entry, it’s free to enroll in EasyPASS. For me, it’s already come in handy — cutting around 15 minutes off of both my arrival in Frankfurt (FRA) last November and my arrival in Berlin (TXL) last week.
Want to “cut the line” for future trips to Germany? Here’s the process to enroll:
- You must apply in person. So, the next time you’re in Germany, head to one of five Germany airports (Hamburg [HAM], Berlin-Tegel [TXL], Dusseldorf [DUS], Frankfurt [FRA], Munich[MUC]) with an enrollment center.
- Head to the German federal police office and ask to enroll in EasyPASS.
- The process, which includes a quick interview and filling out a couple of forms, takes about 10 minutes from start to finish.
It’s that easy. If approved, you’ll immediately have access to any of the automated EasyPASS eGates in seven German airports (FRA, MUC, Cologne [CGN], DUS, Berlin-Schönefeld [SXF], TXL and HAM). And, you’ll be able to continue to use these gates every time you enter Germany through the end of the validity of your passport.
Here’s a quick video on how the eGates work:
Featured image courtesy of the Bundespolizei (German Federal Police).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees