Is This the Coolest or the Most Insane Wedding Ever?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve covered some pretty wild aviation topics at TPG, from crazy crosswind landings to weapons people try to sneak past the TSA. But this adds a unique entry to the list of wacky travel stories — this one from TPG reader Jesse Rodriguez — who spotted an unusual scene at Washington’s D.C.’s Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) last week.
Rodriguez captured this photo in the Delta Sky Club at Washington, D.C.’s Reagan National Airport (DCA), where a couple was hosting their wedding reception:
Ken Nilsen and Tracy Bellman had just tied the knot — but in no ordinary fashion. The couple decided to take their love of travel to the next level and get married at 35,000 feet in the company of their children and 10 of their friends who joined them on the 80-minute flight between Cincinnati (CVG) and DCA.
Nilsen and Bellman share a mutual love of travel, and Bellman, who works in the wedding industry, told Delta about the wedding, saying, “I’ve seen it all, and we just wanted to do something different and uniquely us.” Shortly after earning Diamond Medallion status with the airline, Nilsen booked a trip to Paris to celebrate — and to ask Bellman for her hand in marriage.
“I was getting nervous that the only reason for the trip was Ken’s Diamond status, but it ended with another kind of diamond!”Tracy Bellman
Delta employees at CVG made sure the day was one to remember — the day began with a chauffeured ‘wedding limo’ (adorned with white balloons, of course) ride from security to the gate. They had special motion sickness bags created for the occasion, with the phrase “In case love makes you queasy” on them, and the wedding party (seated in first class, of course) had Champagne to toast the happy couple. As soon as the seatbelt sign was turned off, the wedding began and the couple officially tied the knot right after passing over the northwestern border of Virginia.
Once the plane landed, the newlyweds hopped on another airport “limo” and made their way to the SkyClub at DCA, where they held their wedding reception. They returned to Cincinnati that night.
The couple hasn’t slowed down a bit since getting married — they already have trips planned to Cozumel, Mexico, Denmark, Las Vegas, back to Paris and finally Cape Town, South Africa (though we imagine this list will continue to grow).
Do you think this is the coolest or most insane wedding? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Sherri Barber Photography.
H/T: Delta News Hub
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.