Is This the Coolest or the Most Insane Wedding Ever?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve covered some pretty wild aviation topics at TPG, from crazy crosswind landings to weapons people try to sneak past the TSA. But this adds a unique entry to the list of wacky travel stories — this one from TPG reader Jesse Rodriguez — who spotted an unusual scene at Washington’s D.C.’s Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) last week.
Rodriguez captured this photo in the Delta Sky Club at Washington, D.C.’s Reagan National Airport (DCA), where a couple was hosting their wedding reception:
Ken Nilsen and Tracy Bellman had just tied the knot — but in no ordinary fashion. The couple decided to take their love of travel to the next level and get married at 35,000 feet in the company of their children and 10 of their friends who joined them on the 80-minute flight between Cincinnati (CVG) and DCA.
Nilsen and Bellman share a mutual love of travel, and Bellman, who works in the wedding industry, told Delta about the wedding, saying, “I’ve seen it all, and we just wanted to do something different and uniquely us.” Shortly after earning Diamond Medallion status with the airline, Nilsen booked a trip to Paris to celebrate — and to ask Bellman for her hand in marriage.
“I was getting nervous that the only reason for the trip was Ken’s Diamond status, but it ended with another kind of diamond!”Tracy Bellman
Delta employees at CVG made sure the day was one to remember — the day began with a chauffeured ‘wedding limo’ (adorned with white balloons, of course) ride from security to the gate. They had special motion sickness bags created for the occasion, with the phrase “In case love makes you queasy” on them, and the wedding party (seated in first class, of course) had Champagne to toast the happy couple. As soon as the seatbelt sign was turned off, the wedding began and the couple officially tied the knot right after passing over the northwestern border of Virginia.
Once the plane landed, the newlyweds hopped on another airport “limo” and made their way to the SkyClub at DCA, where they held their wedding reception. They returned to Cincinnati that night.
The couple hasn’t slowed down a bit since getting married — they already have trips planned to Cozumel, Mexico, Denmark, Las Vegas, back to Paris and finally Cape Town, South Africa (though we imagine this list will continue to grow).
Do you think this is the coolest or most insane wedding? Let us know in the comments, below.
Featured image courtesy of Sherri Barber Photography.
H/T: Delta News Hub
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees