New Choice Benefits for Delta Diamond Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: The Platinum Card® from American Express, Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
We’re often frightened when we learn of a change to Delta’s SkyMiles program since it’s known for frequent devaluations without notice, along with other moves that aren’t so customer friendly. However, the SkyMiles program does have some redeeming qualities such as allowing its lowest-level elite members to request complimentary upgrades on award tickets and the ability to waive the airline’s Medallion Qualifying Dollar (MQD) requirement to earn elite status with one of Delta’s co-branded credit cards, such as the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express.
Now, Delta’s making some more improvements to the program, at least for its highest-level Diamond Medallion members. The first change is that Diamond members in both the 2017 and 2018 Medallion year have the ability to choose their benefits at any time instead of all at once like in previous years. For those who earn (or have already earned) Diamond elite status for the 2018 Medallion year, you’ll see some meaningful changes to the program.
Per Delta’s website, here are all the changes you can expect:
- Members who achieve Diamond Medallion Status for the 2018 Medallion year will now receive three Choice Benefit selections instead of two.
- Diamond Medallion Members will still receive complimentary Delta Sky Club Membership, which must now be selected via Choice Benefits starting with the 2018 Medallion year.
- An Individual Membership can be selected by using one Choice Benefit or an Executive Membership can be selected by using two Choice Benefits.
- Diamond Medallion Members who have complimentary Delta Sky Club access via an eligible credit card will have the new option to select a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass to receive unlimited Delta Sky Club access for up to two guests per visit when traveling with the Card Member.
- Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members will now have the option to gift bonus miles to another Member’s SkyMiles account.
- Diamond Medallion Members will now have the ability to make multiple selections of the same benefit, excluding Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates and Delta Sky Club Memberships.
Perhaps the most significant change is how Delta’s treating SkyClub access for Diamond members. Instead of giving an automatic individual SkyClub membership to each Diamond member, Delta’s making it an option in the list of Choice Benefits of which elites can choose 3. This change will likely be well-received among the airline’s most loyal flyers as it eliminates some redundancy since you already can get access to SkyClubs if you hold either the The Platinum Card® from American Express or the Delta Reserve® Card from American Express.
For a full list of benefits you can expect to receive as either a Platinum or Diamond Medallion member, check out Delta’s site.
Have you already reached Diamond status for the 2018 Medallion year? Which Choice Benefits will you be selecting?
H/T: Rene’s Points