Watch This Insane F-35B Vertical Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Despite all of the controversy surrounding Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Lightning II, the aircraft sure does dazzle. The multirole stealth fighter jet, originally intended to work alongside the F-22 Raptor and ultimately replace the robust but aging F-16, F-18 and AV-8B Harrier, sports at least three unique variants (F-35A, F-35B and F-35C) that provide the airplane with unique operational capabilities. Perhaps the most well-known is the aircraft’s ability to hover and perform short take-offs and vertical landings (STOVL), making the jet more versatile, and one of the only stealth fighters in the world capable of such functionality.
Coined a “centerpiece of 21st century global security,” the program is backed by at least twelve countries worldwide, but has been met with steady criticism from participating governments and their citizens wary of exceeding budgets — constant modifications have led development to run almost $200 billion over budget and nearly 10 years behind schedule. Slowly but surely, the fighter is being introduced to military fleets in participating nations. In 2015, the STOVL capable F-35B entered service, and last summer the ‘A’ variant made its debut, while the F-35C is slotted for launch in 2018.
In this crazy aviation video, we take you to Yuma, Arizona to watch an F-35B pilot show off the plane’s capabilities in preparation for at-sea deployment. If you look closely at the “runway,” it looks exactly like the deck of an aircraft carrier suited for this kind of aircraft — but it’s on top of sand instead of an ocean. You’ll see a whole variety of sweet tricks in this video, most notably the plane’s incredible ability to hover just feet off the ground.
Are you a fan of the F-35? Let us know in the comments, below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees