Watch This Insane F-35B Vertical Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Despite all of the controversy surrounding Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Lightning II, the aircraft sure does dazzle. The multirole stealth fighter jet, originally intended to work alongside the F-22 Raptor and ultimately replace the robust but aging F-16, F-18 and AV-8B Harrier, sports at least three unique variants (F-35A, F-35B and F-35C) that provide the airplane with unique operational capabilities. Perhaps the most well-known is the aircraft’s ability to hover and perform short take-offs and vertical landings (STOVL), making the jet more versatile, and one of the only stealth fighters in the world capable of such functionality.
Coined a “centerpiece of 21st century global security,” the program is backed by at least twelve countries worldwide, but has been met with steady criticism from participating governments and their citizens wary of exceeding budgets — constant modifications have led development to run almost $200 billion over budget and nearly 10 years behind schedule. Slowly but surely, the fighter is being introduced to military fleets in participating nations. In 2015, the STOVL capable F-35B entered service, and last summer the ‘A’ variant made its debut, while the F-35C is slotted for launch in 2018.
In this crazy aviation video, we take you to Yuma, Arizona to watch an F-35B pilot show off the plane’s capabilities in preparation for at-sea deployment. If you look closely at the “runway,” it looks exactly like the deck of an aircraft carrier suited for this kind of aircraft — but it’s on top of sand instead of an ocean. You’ll see a whole variety of sweet tricks in this video, most notably the plane’s incredible ability to hover just feet off the ground.
Are you a fan of the F-35? Let us know in the comments, below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees