Ellen Nails It With This Hilarious United Parody
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Basic economy is the new normal, unfortunately. All of the major domestic legacy carriers have revealed their own version of these fares, which generally means no carry-on (except for Delta), no advance seat assignment and the exact opposite of priority boarding. United shared the details of its Basic Economy fares back in November and many suspect that this new fare class won’t actually lower prices, but will just be an excuse for the airlines to charge customers more fees.
The Ellen Show created an amusing parody of what it’ll be like when flying as a United Basic Economy passenger. Taking a page from William Golding’s iconic novel Lord of the Flies, the fake United commercial hilariously spins the chaos that could conceivably ensue for passengers who have booked the cheapest possible ticket:
The skit obviously exaggerates the extent to which you’ll dread Basic Economy. Once you’re on the plane, the onboard product is identical for Economy and Basic Economy travelers. You’ll still receive complimentary non-alcoholic refreshments and light snacks, and, assuming you’re able to get it past the gate agent, you should even be able to put your personal item in the overhead bin!
Featured image of Ellen Degeneres courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees