Ellen Nails It With This Hilarious United Parody
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Basic economy is the new normal, unfortunately. All of the major domestic legacy carriers have revealed their own version of these fares, which generally means no carry-on (except for Delta), no advance seat assignment and the exact opposite of priority boarding. United shared the details of its Basic Economy fares back in November and many suspect that this new fare class won’t actually lower prices, but will just be an excuse for the airlines to charge customers more fees.
The Ellen Show created an amusing parody of what it’ll be like when flying as a United Basic Economy passenger. Taking a page from William Golding’s iconic novel Lord of the Flies, the fake United commercial hilariously spins the chaos that could conceivably ensue for passengers who have booked the cheapest possible ticket:
The skit obviously exaggerates the extent to which you’ll dread Basic Economy. Once you’re on the plane, the onboard product is identical for Economy and Basic Economy travelers. You’ll still receive complimentary non-alcoholic refreshments and light snacks, and, assuming you’re able to get it past the gate agent, you should even be able to put your personal item in the overhead bin!
Featured image of Ellen Degeneres courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.