Ellen Nails It With This Hilarious United Parody
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Basic economy is the new normal, unfortunately. All of the major domestic legacy carriers have revealed their own version of these fares, which generally means no carry-on (except for Delta), no advance seat assignment and the exact opposite of priority boarding. United shared the details of its Basic Economy fares back in November and many suspect that this new fare class won’t actually lower prices, but will just be an excuse for the airlines to charge customers more fees.
The Ellen Show created an amusing parody of what it’ll be like when flying as a United Basic Economy passenger. Taking a page from William Golding’s iconic novel Lord of the Flies, the fake United commercial hilariously spins the chaos that could conceivably ensue for passengers who have booked the cheapest possible ticket:
The skit obviously exaggerates the extent to which you’ll dread Basic Economy. Once you’re on the plane, the onboard product is identical for Economy and Basic Economy travelers. You’ll still receive complimentary non-alcoholic refreshments and light snacks, and, assuming you’re able to get it past the gate agent, you should even be able to put your personal item in the overhead bin!
Featured image of Ellen Degeneres courtesy of Getty Images.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.