This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to own the world’s most advanced fighter jet? It’ll cost you about $100 million — just for one. Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Lightning II has come under plenty of criticism for its ever-growing R&D price tag. The plane is many billions of dollars over budget, and hasn’t met performance expectations throughout its development process. But it makes for a fantastic air show guest!
If you happen to be attending the Farnborough Air Show this week on a day the F-35 is scheduled to perform, you can expect a performance just like the one above.
After some high and low-speed passes over thousands of spectators, the plane came in for its grand finale, hovering just in front of me for what seemed like at least five minutes, just as the Harrier did in 2014. If you manage to score a viewing spot at the east end of the runway, be sure to bring some earplugs — this thing is loud.
And if you manage to capture a hilarious bird vs. bird shot like the one below, please share it in the comments:
— Defense News (@defense_news) July 13, 2016
See below for more from Farnborough 2016:
- Bumping into British PM David Cameron at the Farnborough Air Show
- Tour Boeing’s Brand New 737 MAX, Launching with Southwest in 2017
- Inside the E2, Embraer’s Next-Gen Regional Jet
- Touring the Bombardier CSeries Jet, Now Flying with Swiss
- Watch an F-35 Fighter Jet Hover at the 2016 Farnborough Air Show
- Check Out Qatar’s All-Business-Class Airbus A319 Jet
- Inside the Gulfstream G650, One of the World’s Fastest Business Jets
- Explore Qatar Airways’ Incredible Gulfstream G650 Private Jet
- Take a Look Inside Honda’s $4.5 Million Private Jet
- Comparing Economy Seat Pitch, from 29 to 34 Inches
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.