Watch an F-35 Fighter Jet Hover at the 2016 Farnborough Air Show
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to own the world’s most advanced fighter jet? It’ll cost you about $100 million — just for one. Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Lightning II has come under plenty of criticism for its ever-growing R&D price tag. The plane is many billions of dollars over budget, and hasn’t met performance expectations throughout its development process. But it makes for a fantastic air show guest!
If you happen to be attending the Farnborough Air Show this week on a day the F-35 is scheduled to perform, you can expect a performance just like the one above.
After some high and low-speed passes over thousands of spectators, the plane came in for its grand finale, hovering just in front of me for what seemed like at least five minutes, just as the Harrier did in 2014. If you manage to score a viewing spot at the east end of the runway, be sure to bring some earplugs — this thing is loud.
And if you manage to capture a hilarious bird vs. bird shot like the one below, please share it in the comments:
— Defense News (@defense_news) July 13, 2016
See below for more from Farnborough 2016:
- Bumping into British PM David Cameron at the Farnborough Air Show
- Tour Boeing’s Brand New 737 MAX, Launching with Southwest in 2017
- Inside the E2, Embraer’s Next-Gen Regional Jet
- Touring the Bombardier CSeries Jet, Now Flying with Swiss
- Watch an F-35 Fighter Jet Hover at the 2016 Farnborough Air Show
- Check Out Qatar’s All-Business-Class Airbus A319 Jet
- Inside the Gulfstream G650, One of the World’s Fastest Business Jets
- Explore Qatar Airways’ Incredible Gulfstream G650 Private Jet
- Take a Look Inside Honda’s $4.5 Million Private Jet
- Comparing Economy Seat Pitch, from 29 to 34 Inches
Welcome to The Points Guy!