Spirit Airlines Is Adding TSA PreCheck Support Soon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s something we’re not used to hearing every day: Spirit is doing something to benefit its customers. The ultra low-cost carrier is known for nickel-and-diming its passengers for everything imaginable — from checking bags to printing boarding passes and selecting seats. Now, we have information that the airline is becoming a member of the TSA PreCheck program.
According to the Spirit Airlines Twitter account, the carrier is planning on becoming part of the program by the end of the month.
— Spirit Airlines (@SpiritAirlines) January 23, 2017
The TSA’s list of participating airlines doesn’t yet include Spirit, but when you log in to your Spirit account, you’ll now see an option to input your Known Traveler Number.
With the addition of Spirit, there are now a total of 25 airlines that are a part of the PreCheck program. The airlines include Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Aruba Airlines, Avianca, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Frontier Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Lufthansa, OneJet, Seaborne Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, Sunwing Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic and WestJet.
It’s not yet clear if you’ll actually get PreCheck access if you have a Spirit flight in the immediate future. However, now that there’s a place to input your KTN, it’s a good sign that the carrier will be joining very soon. As a reminder, you can get PreCheck (and Global Entry) for free with a number of credit cards that offer fee waivers, such as the Citi Prestige, Ritz-Carlton Rewards and The Platinum Card from American Express.
Have you had a recent Spirit flight? Did you have access to TSA PreCheck?
Featured image courtesy of Joe Raedle via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.