Exciting New Airline Routes for November 2016 and Beyond
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, I’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like flight schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change based on your travel dates.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN NOVEMBER 2016
Chicago (ORD) — Taipei (TPE) on EVA Air (launched November 2)
Details — EVA Air recently added new nonstop service from Chicago to Taipei on the latest version of its 777-300ER aircraft. Chicago is the sixth US city that EVA Air flies to, with flights departing to Taipei Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and return flights on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
Schedule (4x per week)
- BR55 Chicago (ORD) 12:20am Departure ⇒ Taipei (TPE) 6:00am (+1) Arrival
- BR56 Taipei (TPE) 8:05pm Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 7:55pm Arrival
Miami (MIA) – Amsterdam (AMS) on KLM (launched November 1)
Details — Earlier this month, KLM re-launched nonstop flights from Miami to Amsterdam on the carrier's Airbus A330-200 after previously ending service between the two cities back in 2011. The new seasonal route, which operates on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, will run through June 2017.
Schedule (3x per week)
- KL628 Miami (MIA) 10:25pm Departure ⇒ Amsterdam (AMS) 1:15pm (+1) Arrival
- KL627 Amsterdam (AMS) 4:25pm Departure ⇒ Miami (MIA) 8:40pm Arrival
San Jose (SJC) – Baltimore (BWI) and Salt Lake City (SLC) on Southwest (launched November 6)
Details — Southwest launched two new routes this month, with daily nonstop service from San Jose (SJC) to Baltimore (BWI) and twice-daily flights from San Jose (SJC) to Salt Lake City (SLC).
Schedule (Daily for BWI; 2x daily for SLC)
- WN3522 San Jose (SJC) 6:35am Departure ⇒ Baltimore (BWI) 2:35pm Arrival
- WN2478 Baltimore (BWI) 2:30pm Departure ⇒ San Jose (SJC) 5:35pm Arrival
- WN6209 San Jose (SJC) 9:15am Departure ⇒ Salt Lake City (SLC) 12:05pm Arrival
- WN343 San Jose (SJC) 8:40pm Departure ⇒ Salt Lake City (SLC) 11:20pm Arrival
- WN2525 Salt Lake City (SLC) 9:35am Departure ⇒ San Jose (SJC) 10:35am Arrival
- WN2144 Salt Lake City (SLC) 6:40pm Departure ⇒ San Jose (SJC) 7:35pm Arrival
New York (JFK) – Turks and Caicos (PLS) on American Airlines (launched November 5)
Details — American Airlines recently started its nonstop seasonal service from New York (JFK) to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos (PLS) on its Boeing 737 aircraft. Flights to the islands leave on Saturday and return to the Big Apple on Sunday, so you'll have to relax on the beach for a week if you want to take advantage of this new route, which runs until March 5, 2017.
Schedule (1x per week)
- AA1416 New York (JFK) 5:25pm Departure ⇒ Providenciales (PLS) 10:07pm Arrival
- AA1443 Providenciales (PLS) 8:20am ⇒ New York (JFK) 10:53am Arrival
New York (JFK) and Newark (EWR) – Havana (HAV) on JetBlue and United Airlines (launched November 29)
Details — With American citizens now able to travel to Cuba (with some restrictions), United and JetBlue have both launched nonstop flights from the New York area to Havana — United will operate a 737 from Newark to Havana while JetBlue will fly an A321 to Havana from JFK. Fares seem to be very low for this new United route, which probably has something to do with Delta starting its own nonstop service to the Cuban capital from JFK on December 1, a move that's sure to bring in even more competition on flights to the island nation going forward.
- B243 New York (JFK) 8:58am Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 1:05pm Arrival
- B242 Havana (HAV) 2:20pm ⇒ New York (JFK) 5:33pm Arrival
- UA1502 Newark (EWR) 10:18am Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 1:53pm Arrival
- UA1503 Havana (HAV) 2:53pm ⇒ New York (EWR) 6:18pm Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN NOVEMBER 2016
Aer Lingus to Launch Service From Miami (MIA) to Dublin (DUB)
Details — Irish carrier Aer Lingus has announced it'll be starting nonstop service from Miami to Dublin as of September 1, 2017, operating three flights per week on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday on its A330. This new route, the only nonstop between MIA and DUB, will be great way to use up those Avios, as Aer Lingus doesn't charge the same wild fees British Airways does when you redeem them for transatlantic flights.
Schedule (3x per week)
- EL140 Miami (MIA) 9:10pm Departure ⇒ Dublin (DUB) 10:35am (+1) Arrival
- EL141 Dublin (DUB) 3:00pm Departure ⇒ Miami (MIA) 7:15pm Arrival
Fly From Long Beach (LGB) to Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) on JetBlue
Details — As of May 3, 2017, JetBlue will be reviving daily nonstop flights between Long Beach, CA, and Fort Lauderdale, FL, making it the only carrier to fly the route, which it used to fly before canceling the route back in 2011. The airline's been beefing up service from both LGB and FLL lately, so this move will help strengthen the two mini-hubs even more.
- B944 Long Beach (LGB) 9:24pm Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 5:25am (+1) Arrival
- B943 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 5:51pm Departure ⇒ Long Beach (LGB) 8:28pm Arrival
British Airways Announces Flights Between Oakland (OAK) and London (LGW)
Details — British Airways will begin flying from Oakland, CA, to London's Gatwick airport starting March 28, 2017, with flights aboard BA's 777-200ER aircraft four days a week on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. It's interesting to note that BA will be competing with low-cost carrier Norwegian, which started running direct flights from OAK to LGW back in May 2016.
Schedule (4x per week) for Monday, Thursday and Saturday...
- BA2278 Oakland (OAK) 3:05pm Departure ⇒ London (LGW) 9:25am (+1) Arrival
- BA2279 London (LGW) 10:20am Departure ⇒ Oakland (OAK) 1:15pm Arrival
...And Tuesday (65 minutes later than on Monday, Thursday and Saturday):
- BA2278 Oakland (OAK) 4:10pm Departure ⇒ London (LGW) 10:30am (+1) Arrival
- BA2279 London (LGW) 11:25am Departure ⇒ Oakland (OAK) 2:20pm Arrival
Eurowings Adds Service From Orlando (MCO) and Seattle (SEA) to Cologne (CGN)
Details — Eurowings, a low-cost subsidiary of Lufthansa, will soon add two new long-haul flights from Cologne Bonn Airport to Seattle and Orlando. Twice-weekly service from Orlando starts July 8, with flights departing on Wednesday and Saturday, while thrice-weekly flights from Seattle will begin July 11, with departures on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Schedule for Orlando (2x weekly):
- EW185 Orlando (MCO) 8:00pm Departure ⇒ Cologne (CGN) 11:15am (+1) Arrival
- EW184 Cologne (CGN) 2:00pm Departure ⇒ Orlando (MCO) 6:15pm Arrival
- EW185 Orlando (MCO) 7:45pm Departure ⇒ Cologne (CGN) 11:00am (+1) Arrival
- EW184 Cologne (CGN) 1:45pm Departure ⇒ Orlando (MCO) 6:00pm Arrival
Schedule for Seattle (3x weekly):
Tuesday and Saturday:
- EW169 Seattle (SEA) 3:45pm Departure ⇒ Cologne (CGN) 10:50am (+1) Arrival
- EW168 Cologne (CGN) 12:25pm Departure ⇒ Seattle (SEA) 2:00pm Arrival
- EW169 Seattle (SEA) 5:00pm Departure ⇒ Cologne (CGN) 12:05pm (+1) Arrival
- EW168 Cologne (CGN) 1:40pm Departure ⇒ Seattle (SEA) 3:15pm Arrival
Wow Air to Add New Flights from Pittsburgh (PIT) to Reykjavik (KEF)
Details — Icelandic low-cost carrier Wow Air is continuing its US expansion with the announcement of new flights four times per week between Pittsburgh to Reykjavik starting June 16, 2017. The route — which runs Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday — will be operated by an A321, which has received relatively positive reviews, especially when you can snag fares as low as $99 to Iceland.
Schedule (4x per week):
- WOW148 Pittsburgh (PIT) 6:45pm Departure ⇒ Reykjavik (KEF) 4:50am (+1) Arrival
- WOW147 Reykjavik (KEF) 3:00pm Departure ⇒ Pittsburgh (PIT) 5:30pm Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?