This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Low-cost carrier WOW Air has been steadily expanding its route network between various cities in North America and Iceland. With its low fares — starting at $99 one-way — it’s no surprise that the airline has become a popular option for US-based passengers looking to travel to Reykjavik and beyond. WOW has just announced that it’ll begin service between Pittsburgh (PIT) and Reykjavik (KEF), beginning June 16, 2017.
The new route between PIT and KEF will be operated 4x weekly by one of the carrier’s A321 aircraft. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Icelandic airline is getting some pretty valuable perks in return, such as two years of monetary incentives, marketing support and a waiver of landing fees. While one might not think Pittsburgh would be at the top of the list of cities for new long-haul routes from an international carrier, the incentives proved to be enough to garner WOW’s business.
WOW Air is already offering one-way fares between the two cities starting at $99, or $149 one-way for connecting to other European cities. Even if Pittsburgh-based flyers aren’t planning on a trip to Iceland, a stopover in Reykjavik could be a great option before continuing on to other parts of Europe. Keep in mind, however, that WOW Air is a low-cost carrier that charges for things that you might be used to getting for free on other carriers, such as seat assignments, meals, checked baggage and more.
Overall, this is a nice addition for Pittsburgh, which doesn’t have many options when it comes to transatlantic routes. The Steel City joins several other North American cities that WOW Air currently or will soon begin to operate to, including Newark, Miami, Boston, Baltimore, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Montreal and Toronto.
Featured image of Reykjavik, Iceland courtesy of Getty Images.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.