Exciting New Airline Routes for October 2016 and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, I’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like flight schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change based on your travel dates.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN OCTOBER 2016
San Francisco (SFO) – Singapore (SIN) on Singapore Airlines (launched October 23)
Details — Singapore Airlines just added new daily nonstop service connecting San Francisco to Singapore with its shiny new A350-900. The new launch means there’s now competition with United Airlines, which is currently the only other carrier to offer nonstop service between the two cities.
- SQ31 San Francisco (SFO) 11:40am Departure ⇒ Singapore (SIN) 7:10pm (+1) Arrival
- SQ32 Singapore (SIN) 9:20am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 8:55am Arrival
Miami (MIA) – Copenhagen (CPH) and Oslo (OSL) on SAS (launched September 28)
Details — Scandinavian Airlines recently launched nonstop flights from Miami to Copenhagen and Oslo on the carrier’s Airbus A330. The Miami to Copenhagen route operates on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, while service from Miami to Oslo operates on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Schedule (Miami to Copenhagen, 3x per week; Miami to Oslo, 4x per week)
- SK954 Miami (MIA) 3:45pm Departure ⇒ Copenhagen (CPH) 7:00am (+1) Arrival
- SK953 Copenhagen (CPH) 9:15am Departure ⇒ Miami (MIA) 1:55pm Arrival
- SK956 Miami (MIA) 3:45pm Departure ⇒ Oslo (OSL) 6:50am (+1) Arrival
- SK955 Oslo (OSL) 9:25am Departure ⇒ Miami (MIA) 1:55pm Arrival
Las Vegas (LAS) – London (LGW) on Norwegian (launched October 31)
Details — At the end of October, low-cost carrier Norwegian started running nonstop flights between Sin City and London, with twice-weekly service on Monday and Thursday. Norwegian’s flying its 787 Dreamliner, which has received great reviews considering it’s a budget airline.
Schedule (2x per week)
- DY7108 Las Vegas (LAS) 5:00pm Departure ⇒ London-Gatwick (LGW) 10:50am (+1) Arrival
- DY7107 London-Gatwick (LGW) 12:10pm Departure ⇒ Las Vegas (LAS) 3:00pm Arrival
Los Angeles (LAX) – Santiago (SCL) on LATAM (launched October 16)
Details — On October 16, LATAM launched long-haul flights from Los Angeles (LAX) to Santiago (SCL), making it the only carrier to fly nonstop on this particular route. Flights depart from LAX on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday and from Santiago on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. The new nonstop service aboard LATAM’s 787 Dreamliner shortens travel time by two hours and 20 minutes.
Schedule (3x per week)
- LA603 Los Angeles (LAX) 3:15pm Departure ⇒ Santiago (SCL) 7:00am (+1) Arrival
- LA602 Santiago (SCL) 11:50pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 6:15am (+1) Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN OCTOBER 2016
Southwest to Launch Service From Fort Lauderdale and Tampa to Cuba
Details — Southwest will soon be offering flights more flights to Cuba, with service between Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Varadero (VRA) beginning November 13, and service from FLL and Tampa (TPA) to Havana (HAV) starting December 12. Both flights from Fort Lauderdale will operate twice per day, while there will only be one flight per day from Tampa to Havana.
Schedule (2x daily)
- SW3914 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 11:00am Departure ⇒ Varadero (VRA) 12:00 pm Arrival
- SW3915 Varadero (VRA) 1:00pm Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 2:05pm Arrival
- SW3916 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 2:55pm Departure ⇒ Varadero (VRA) 3:55 pm Arrival
- SW3917 Varadero (VRA) 4:55pm Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 6:00pm Arrival
- SW3922 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 11:55am Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 1:00pm Arrival
- SW3921 Havana (HAV) 8:30am Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 9:40am Arrival
- SW3920 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 4:00pm Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 5:05pm Arrival
- SW3923 Havana (HAV) 2:00pm Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 3:10pm Arrival
- SW3952 Tampa (TPA) 6:15am Departure ⇒ Havana (HAV) 7:30am Arrival
- SW3953 Havana (HAV) 6:05pm Departure ⇒ Tampa (TPA) 7:25pm Arrival
Delta to Offer Three New Transatlantic Routes for Summer 2017
Details — Great news for anyone planning a European vacation for next summer: Delta is adding three daily nonstop routes from the East Coast. Starting May 25, 2017, you’ll be able to fly from Boston (BOS) to Dublin (DUB) and from New York (JFK) to Berlin (TXL) and Lisbon (LIS). The new Dublin and Lisbon routes will be served by a 757-200, while the Berlin flight features the carrier’s 767-300 aircraft.
- DL154 Boston (BOS) 9:10pm Departure ⇒ Dublin (DUB) 8:30am (+1) Arrival
- DL155 Dublin (DUB) 10:15am Departure ⇒ Boston (BOS) 12:41pm Arrival
- DL473 New York (JFK) 9:43pm Departure ⇒ Lisbon (LIS) 10:00am (+1) Arrival
- DL273 Lisbon (LIS) 11:35am Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 2:19pm Arrival
- DL422 New York (JFK) 7:49pm Departure ⇒ Berlin (TXL) 10:30am (+1) Arrival
- DL222 Berlin (TXL) 1:30pm Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 4:19pm Arrival
LOT Polish Airlines Announces Flights from Los Angeles and Newark to Warsaw, Poland
Details — LOT Polish Airlines will begin flying from Los Angeles (LAX) and Newark (EWR) to Warsaw (WAW) starting in April 2017. Thrice-weekly service between Newark and Warsaw is expected to start April 28, 2017, with service on the carrier’s Boeing 767-300 — and starting next August, a shiny new 787 Dreamliner — while flights from LAX will begin April 3, 2017, and will be operated by the 787 as well.
Schedule (EWR to Warsaw, 3x per week; LAX to Warsaw, 4x per week)
- LO24 Los Angeles (LAX) 9:40pm Departure ⇒ Warsaw (WAW) 6:00pm (+1) Arrival
- LO23 Warsaw (WAW) 4:30pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 7:50pm Arrival
- LO12 Newark (EWR) 6:15pm Departure ⇒ Warsaw (WAW) 9:00am (+1) Arrival
- LO11 Warsaw (WAW) 11:55am Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 3:40pm Arrival
Emirates Adds Service Between Fort Lauderdale and Dubai
Details — Starting Dec. 15, you’ll be able to fly from 11 US cities on Emirates, with the carrier’s most recent addition being its Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Dubai (DXB) route. Daily flights will be operated by a Boeing 777-200LR equipped with eight first-class suites, 42 business-class seats and 216 economy seats.
- EK214 Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 8:20pm Departure ⇒ Dubai (DXB) 7:40pm (+1) Arrival
- EK213 Dubai (DXB) 3:00am Departure ⇒ Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 10:25am Arrival
Icelandair Continues Expansion with New Flights from Philadelphia and Tampa to Reykjavik
Details — Several nonstop flights from Philadelphia and Tampa to Reykjavik, Iceland were recently announced by Icelandair. Starting May 30, 2017, you can take advantage of seasonal service from Philadelphia on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. The carrier will also be launching year-round service from Tampa to Reykjavik, available Monday and Thursday beginning September 7, 2017.
Schedule (4x a week):
- FI828 Philadelphia (PHL) 8:35pm Departure ⇒ Reykjavik (KEF) 6:10am (+1) Arrival
- FI829 Reykjavik (KEF) 5:00pm Departure ⇒ Philadelphia (PHL) 7:15pm Arrival
Schedule (2x a week):
- FI884 Tampa (TPA) 6:55pm Departure ⇒ Reykjavik (KEF) 6:10am (+1) Arrival
- FI885 Reykjavik (KEF) 5:10pm Departure ⇒ Tampa (TPA) 9:00pm Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Featured image of Singapore courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!