This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 6/1/17: Delta Platinum members now have access as well:
Effective February 16, 2017, Diamond Medallion Members plus one guest who are traveling in Delta Main Cabin, Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy or Virgin Atlantic Economy cabin are able to access the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse located in Terminal 3 in London-Heathrow.
As a reminder, the full suite of London-Heathrow lounge benefits for SkyMiles Medallion Members and Delta One customers are as follows:
- Diamond Medallion Members traveling in Delta Main Cabin, Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy or Virgin Atlantic Economy cabin and passengers traveling in Delta One or Virgin Atlantic Upper Class are all eligible to access both the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse and No1 Lounges, both located in Terminal 3.
- Platinum and Gold Medallion Members traveling in Delta Main Cabin, Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy, or Virgin Atlantic Economy cabin are eligible to access No1 Lounges.
- All Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members receive complimentary access to the Virgin Atlantic Revivals Lounge upon arrival at London-Heathrow Airport regardless of cabin of travel. The Revivals Lounge is also complimentary for Delta One and Virgin Atlantic Upper Class passengers.
- Diamond, Platinum, and Gold Medallion Members also enjoy access to the SkyTeam lounge located in Terminal 4.
Many travelers “in the know” avoid connecting at London’s Heathrow Airport whenever possible — but for Delta’s top elite members, there’s been a reason to drop by. Up until today, Diamond and Platinum elites have had access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, which is arguably one of the best business-class lounges in the world. You’ll find the usual perks, like free drinks, speedy Wi-Fi, fine food (plus a deli), and then there are some unique add-ons, like complimentary haircuts and shaves (though only when you’re flying with Virgin Atlantic).
So, what’s changed? As of today, Delta’s moved its Heathrow operations to T3, which is where the Clubhouse is located. That move brings many more eligible guests within walking distance of one of Heathrow’s most appealing hangouts, which would have meant potential overcrowding at the Clubhouse. At the same time, given the proximity to the lounge, this move has had Delta elites pretty excited — you can imagine the disappointment, then, when Delta announced today that Diamond and Platinum members flying in economy won’t be able to get in. And that starts right away.
Instead, Diamond, Platinum and Gold members will have access to the No. 1 Lounge in the same terminal. This is a fine lounge (we reviewed it earlier this year), but, well, it’s no Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse. You can also get into it with a Priority Pass membership. Additionally, the Delta Arrivals Lounge will be closing next week, at which point Delta Diamond and Platinum members (in addition to business-class passengers) will be able to access the Virgin Atlantic Revivals Lounge at LHR.
Meanwhile, Delta One and Virgin Atlantic Upper Class passengers will still have access to the Clubhouse, so all is not lost — those traveling on economy tickets won’t be so fortunate, however. And Delta elites traveling from T4 will continue to have access to the SkyTeam lounge there.
Will you miss Clubhouse access as a Delta elite?
Featured image courtesy of Virgin Atlantic.
H/T: Renes Points
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.