This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Chad emailed me to ask about a new Citi ThankYou Rewards partnership:
“Is there a way to maximize the value of ThankYou points by booking hotels with Expedia, or are there better options?”
Citi’s partnership with Expedia extends back nearly a decade. For most of that time, the partnership has been defined by various co-branded credit cards, but it expanded earlier this year when Citi began allowing ThankYou Rewards members to redeem points for hotels on Expedia. Linking your ThankYou account and choosing to pay with points is pretty easy, and it doesn’t hurt to have more options for booking award travel. However, this new feature offers a terrible redemption value, and there are definitely better ways to maximize your rewards.
ThankYou points are worth just 0.8 cents apiece when you use them to book hotels on Expedia. That’s less than what you’ll get by redeeming for gift cards, and much less than what you can get by transferring to airline and hotel partners. Furthermore, you can get a better return by skipping Expedia altogether and booking travel through ThankYou Rewards directly (including hotels, flights, rental cars and more).
For example, the Citi Premier Card offers 1.25 cents per point when you redeem through the ThankYou Travel Center. The Citi Prestige Card gives you even higher rates of 1.33 cents per point on most travel, or 1.6 cents per point on American Airlines flights. Even no-fee options like the Citi ThankYou Preferred Card give you 1 cent per point when you book through Citi — 25% better than what you’ll get by using Expedia.
The one advantage of this partnership is that Expedia gives you access to a wider selection of properties. When I searched for a hotel in Boston for one night in August, Citi gave me 189 options and Expedia gave me 331, even though the ThankYou Rewards site appeared to be searching a larger area. Still, even if you’re targeting a specific property that’s only available as an award on Expedia, you’re probably better off just paying cash and saving your ThankYou points for another time.
For more on how to maximize Citi ThankYou Rewards points, check out these posts:
- Redeeming Citi ThankYou Points for Maximum Value
- Is the Citi ThankYou Travel Center Worth Using?
- Which Citi ThankYou Rewards Transfer Partner Is Best?
Featured image courtesy of the Fairmont Orchid Hawaii.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.