This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts (FHR) program is one of the best ways to potentially save big on your next trip. In addition to the benefits you’ll get when booking through the program, there’s also the possibility of saving even more cash with free nights. For example, when I was searching for hotels for an upcoming trip to Singapore, nearly all of the FHR properties in the city were eligible for a free night.
You can book a three-night stay at The Fullerton Bay Hotel for a nightly rate of $570 and get the third night for free. So, you’ll pay $1,140 for a three-night stay (normally $1,710 without the free night). Booking through the hotel’s website on the same dates would cost a total $1,113 for the three nights, so you’d be paying $27 more with FHR. But, you’ll receive the $125 food and beverage credit, complimentary breakfast for two people and other FHR benefits, which will ultimately save you money. Remember that the value of the free night will be deducted from the total hotel of the bill at check-out — not when booking.
As a reminder, you need to be a cardholder of The Platinum Card® from American Express, its The Business Platinum® Card from American Express or the Centurion Card in order to have access to the FHR portal. You’ll always get noon check-in when available, room upgrade when available, daily breakfast for two people, 4:00pm late check out, complimentary Wi-Fi and a unique property amenity.
For more on this perk, check out Richard Kerr’s post, “How to Score Free Nights With Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts”
Featured image courtesy of The Fullerton Bay Hotel.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees