AA’s Offering Free Platinum Challenges to Select AAdvantage Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some readers have shared their offers for Gold or Executive Platinum status as well. The registration process is similar to what’s outlined below, however there’s a different offer page to use. Below is the EQM requirement breakdown — remember, you must register before you fly and all EQMs must be earned by September 9, 2016. The terms and conditions don’t specify whether or not you’ll earn systemwide upgrades after meeting the requirements for Executive Platinum, however the promotion does state that “You’ll be eligible for all perks of elite status once you qualify, including: Special upgrade privileges.”
Last week, United made news by giving surprise status upgrades and Economy Plus subscriptions to select customers. Today, American Airlines launched a similar campaign of its own, albeit with slightly different terms.
AA appears to be targeting infrequent customers with free AAdvantage Platinum status, but unlike United’s upgrade offer, this gifted AA status is only valid through September 9, 2016. To register, head to this page and enter promo code HVC2B between now and June 8, 2016 — note that you’re likely only eligible to participate if you received an email from American, though it doesn’t hurt to attempt registration. If approved, your status will appear within 10 business days of registration and you should receive a membership card within six weeks.
Targeted members will also have an opportunity to keep their status through January 31, 2018. To maintain Platinum status, you’ll need to earn 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines or Qantas between the date you register and September 9, 2016. If you meet the requirements, you’ll also earn 25,000 bonus AAdvantage miles, worth $375 based on TPG’s most recent valuations.
We value AA Platinum status at $2,840, but you’ll need to fly American a fair amount to get that much out of the program. Perks include complimentary upgrades on flights under 500 miles, a 100% mileage bonus, priority check-in/screening/boarding, two free checked bags, free same-day standby, free Main Cabin Extra seats and business-class lounge access when flying internationally, among other benefits.
If you weren’t targeted for this promotion, you may still be able to participate in a status challenge by calling AA.
Did you receive a Platinum status offer from American?
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 50,000 miles are worth $700. In addition, you can earn 10,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) toward elite status after spending $40,000 in a calendar year. As of July 23, 2017 this is the only card that offers Admirals Club lounge access so if you are an AA flyer this card might make sense for you. Aside from lounge access the primary cardholder will receive a Global Entry application fee credit every 5 years, first checked bag free for up to 8 travel companions on domestic itineraries and a 25% discount on eligible in-flight purchases on American Airlines flights.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Admirals Club® membership for you and access for guests traveling with you
- Complimentary Admirals Club® lounge access for authorized users
- Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after you spend $40,000 in purchases within the year
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 8 companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 17.24% - 25.24%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.