This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: It appears that United is also targeting elites with temporary status, so if you participated in a status match earlier this year, you may have received an offer for a higher status even if you didn’t meet the challenge requirements.
It looks like United Airlines is trying to create some new loyal flyers, in addition to keeping its current elite members. The carrier is targeting existing MileagePlus members with upgraded status and complimentary Economy Plus subscriptions through January 2017.
One TPG reader wrote in that United upgraded his status from Premier Gold to Premier Platinum through January 2017, and another reported that United offered a complimentary Economy Plus subscription. We’ve heard reports that United is offering one-level status upgrades up to Premier 1K, however upgrade certificates will not be issued as part of this promotion.
Economy Plus seats give you 3-5 more inches of legroom, and a subscription allows you to book an Economy Plus seat for free on each United flight you take. Subscriptions start at $499, so this one-year targeted subscription can really save you a lot for a little extra legroom. When you purchase a subscription, it’s linked with your MileagePlus account, so you’ll be able to select a seat for free when booking a ticket as long as something is available.
The TPG reader who was targeted for a free Economy Plus subscription said he doesn’t have status with United, but does with American, and the reader who wrote in with the status upgrade reported that he has history with the carrier — he was previously a 1K member, then Premier Platinum and most recently Premier Gold. No one on the TPG staff has received an offer. Be sure to check your email to see if you were targeted!
Were you targeted for a status or legroom upgrade?
Thanks to TPG readers Ricky W. and Rob H., who shared these news tip by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be sending out a $200 Visa gift card as a token of our appreciation.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards