This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here
This is the latest post in the series from my recent “Around the World” trip to the Maldives, India and Dubai. Follow along to read my reviews on several different aspects of my trip. Other posts in this series include: Quick Singapore Layover & Singapore Airlines A330 Business Class to Male, Maldives, Flight Review: EVA Air New York-JFK-Tapei Royal Laurel Class, Hotel Review: Maldives Airport Hulhule Island Hotel, Flight Review: Trans Maldivian Airways Seaplane from Male to Rangali Island, Advance Upgrade Options for My Conrad Maldives Rangali Island Stay and Seaplane Transfer Costs and Are The Maldives Worth It?
After traveling for nearly two days, I was really looking forward to getting to the Conrad Maldives Hotel on Rangali Island, which I had been able to book on pre-devaluation Hilton points and also one of my free weekend nights from the sign-up bonus on the Citi Hilton Reserve card. At the time I booked my reservation, I was able to reserve it for 50,000 Hilton points a night, which is incredible considering the base rooms go for over $1,000 a night.
For the first night, I paid to upgrade to a Deluxe Beach Villa, but in all honestly I do not think the upgrade is worth $400+ a night to simply have a larger room with a pool. All units are beachfront, so if you’re going to stay on the island, I’d just stick with a normal guest room. I do believe the Overwater Villas are amazing, but not worth it if the weather isn’t nice- and I had 3 days of constant rain, but more on that later.
The King Deluxe Beach Villa is a 30o square-meter/3,229-square-foot beachfront villa, with a garden, “bathing pavilion” and its own pool. There are 42 of them on the resort and they all have floor-to-ceiling windows on all four sides so that the ocean breezes flow in, as do the scents of the tropical flowers from the gardens. The King Deluxe Beach Villas are a step up from a base room, but even the most basic rooms here looked gorgeous. The resort is on two different islands, the other side was more secluded with an exclusive adults-only area and some nice restaurants, but pretty much anywhere you go is incredible.
My villa had fresh white-washed walls, was surrounded by a garden exotic plants I’ve never seen before, even had its own sunken plunge pool and it was just a few steps through lush vegetation to the white sandy beach. It was decorated in blues and turquoises that kept with the water theme and added to the tranquility.
The only negative was that the only shower was outdoors, and it it did rain some of the time we were staying here, which made bathing awkward. Also, there were moments when some of the rain actually leaked through into the room a little bit, but that didn’t deter me from enjoying the room, and when the weather was nice, things were perfect.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees