Flight Review: Trans Maldivian Airways Seaplane from Male to Rangali Island
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here
On my trip down to the Maldives earlier this month, I had a bit of a long itinerary in order to arrive there. I had redeemed 60,000 United miles and $24.20 to fly EVA Royal Laurel business class from JFK to Taipei and had a short layover there before taking another 4.5-hour flight on EVA to Singapore (also on the 777-300ER, though a regional one equipped with angled lie-flat seats), before continuing from there on Singapore Airlines to Male International Airport after an 8.5-hour layover.
When we arrived back at Male Airport after a rejuvenating night at the Hulhule, we got a warm welcome from a representative from Conrad Maldives Rangali Island resort who guided us the the chic airport lounge, which is exclusive to Conrad guests, before taking off from a special Trans Maldivian Airways seaplane terminal. There is no alcohol, but there was a nice spread of breakfast items, fruit and soft drinks. There was also a massage area to get a 15 minute complimentary massage, but our plane announced boarding just as I sat down to receive my massage.
As I was in the midst of a multi-destination trip, I was worried about overpacking for such a small plane. The luggage allowance is 25 kg (55 pounds) per person plus 5 kg of hand luggage and the maximum weight is 32 kg (70 pounds) per piece of luggage.
The flight to the Conrad was a breeze- a smooth climb out over Male and then an easy 30 minute flight to Rangali. There were a couple moments of like bumpiness, but overall I thought it was a smooth ride. It did get a little bit hot and it was loud, so I’d recommend bringing headphones or taking advantage of the earplugs in the lounge. I was mesmerized the whole time by the crystal blue water so my face was glued to the window- here’s a shot of our takeoff and stunning views from the sky.
Our flight back to Male wasn’t as smooth- it was raining and the seas were bumpy. Not only that, we have to pick up passengers at another resort, so there were two takeoffs and landings.
Overall, the hotel staff made these transfers painless and everything was arranged for us in advance. Although the transfers are a bit pricey for such a quick island hop, it’s worth it to be able to experience such a unique and truly beautiful destination.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees