Chase Launches New United Explorer and Continental Onepass Plus Card Offers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here
Chase announced identical offers for new United and Continental credit cards today. These are decent offers, but nothing that has me really excited. If you fly United/Continental and want some perks, these cards might make sense. However, as I wrote earlier today, I think there are better Chase offerings right now, including the Sapphire Preferred card, which has a 50,000 point bonus after only $4,000 in spend in 3 months (and those points transfer to United/Continental, British Airways, Hyatt, Marriott, Priority Club and Amtrak) instantly. That being said, the Sapphire Preferred card won’t get you free bags or priority boarding so if those benefits interest you, you should look into either one of the new cards.
Sign-up bonus: 25,000 miles after first purchase, 5,000 miles for adding an authorized user and 10,000 miles every calendar year when you spend $25,000. This is a little bit annoying that they have this relatively large spend threshold and you only have less than half the year to meet it.
Mileage earning: 2 miles per dollar spent on United/Continental purchases, 1 mile per dollar for everything else
Annual Fee: $95, waived the first year.
Airline benefits: Free first checked bag for you and a companion on United/Continental flights, Priority boarding, 2 lounge passes every year.
Other benefits: Primary auto rental insurance with coverage up to $500,000, purchase protection up to $10,000, concierge service and luxury hotel benefits
So overall, if you fly United/Continental and you are happy with those miles (which can be used for award travel on all 27 Star Alliance members), then using this card as your primary mileage earning card may make sense. I found their marketing chart comparing the card offerings to American Express to be pretty interesting. I love competition, so it’s nice to see Chase nipping at the Amex’ feet because I hope Amex responds with even bigger bonuses! Right now their 10/15/25 bonuses for the Gold/Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum cards are pretty boring (even though they can be bumped to eye-popping 75/75/100 bonuses with a simple phone call as I highlighted in this post).
To be fair to Amex, they could easily respond with two key counterpoints: Ability to transfer (and at times with up to a 50% bonus) to Oneworld, Skyteam and other airline partners?: Amex Premier Rewards, Yes/ Continental No. 3x points for all airfare Amex Premier Rewards: Yes/ Continental No (only 2x and only on United/Continental purchases).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees