Skip to content

My Perfect Flight Experience

May 29, 2011
3 min read
My Perfect Flight Experience
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.

There are an abundance of horror stories about flying, but rarely do we hear when things go smoothly. It's a slow news weekend (and I am trying to enjoy the - finally - nice weather), so here goes.

My sister got married last weekend in St. Augustine. The wedding was beautiful and a fun time was had by all. Originally, instead of flying on the 5:20pm nonstop JAX-LGA, I chose to choose the 7:45pm connecting through Atlanta for 2 reasons - it was $50 cheaper and I figured I'd want to spend as much time with family as possible.

However, on Sunday, I was exhausted and really wanted to get back to NYC early. The 2 hour difference with my family just didn't make sense when I considered that I'd be getting home at nearly 1am vs 8:30pm. So at 3:20pm on the dot, I called Delta and asked to be Same Day Confirmed onto the 5:20 nonstop flight, which was showing 3 open seats in first class. I was immediately confirmed into an exit row and off to the airport I went.

Check-in was a breeze and I actually checked a bag since I knew I was flying on a regional jet and I didn't want to bother with trying to jam my suit and other belongings into the overhead. There was only a handful of people in the security line. The TSA agent was in a jolly mood and actually joked with me about something - I can't remember what, but it was a pleasant exchange.

I stopped by the SkyClub with my Platinum card to pick up a 300 American Express point voucher and had a free cocktail. I then met a couple family members at the bar in the airport where they were eating.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

At the gate, I was called up to the podium to retrieve my first class boarding pass - there were no TV screens showing upgrade status, but the gate agent handled it properly and without any delays, I boarded, put my Bose QC15 headphones on, got a pre-departure beverage from the friendly flight attendant and slept for the 2 hour flight back to NYC. No turbulence, no annoying passengers - just a simple flight with great views - especially of Manhattan on approach at LGA.

Landing at LaGuardia was smooth - no delays or holding patterns. Since it was a regional jet, I feared we would be parking at a remote gate, yet we pulled into a regular gate and I was the third person off the plane.

I stopped by the SkyClub to pick up another 300 American Express point voucher and throw on a sweater and by the time I got to baggage claim, I only had to wait two minutes before the bags came out - and my priority tagged bags were one of the first off the belt.

I got home by 8:30pm - I wouldn't have even boarded my ATL-LGA leg until 9:30pm - so I thoroughly enjoyed getting to relax before starting a crazy week.

Oh by the way, there was no traffic from LaGuardia to my apartment in Brooklyn - another feat, if anyone here has ever experienced the BQE on a Sunday night. Now that I think about it, I think I need to run out and get a couple lottery tickets!