You can now use points to pay for room charges at some IHG hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG Rewards Club is piloting a new program they’re calling Pay with Points, which will allow members to pay for things like bar tabs or spa treatments using IHG points.
Here’s how it works.
You’ll first need to select your hotel on the IHG app to begin, then you’ll see a window where you can select to redeem points. The app will then create a voucher for you to use. IHG says members can easily redeem points by using the in-room TV (via IHG Studio) or the mobile site to redeem points without leaving their room.
Right now, the in-room IHG Studio pilot is live at two IHG properties: the Crowne Plaza Atlanta at Ravinia and Hotel Indigo Alexandria. The mobile-site pilot is at InterContinental Barclay New York. More Atlanta hotels such as InterContinental Buckhead and Holiday Inn Atlanta Airport South will be online in the next few weeks, the hotel says, with more rolling out in 2020.
Members can now pay for room charges with points, but is it the best way to redeem? IHG Rewards Club points are worth 0.5 cents each, according to TPG’s latest valuations. While it’s not the highest (that title goes to World of Hyatt) there are still plenty of ways to maximize IHG points.
For instance, you can use IHG Rewards Club points at nearly all IHG properties, transfer them to airlines, redeem them for experiences and more. Because of these options, it’s important to think carefully about your redemption options before you spend your hard-earned IHG points. There are several great ways to spend IHG points, including high-end hotels like the Intercontinental Times Square in New York City for 70,000 points.
If you don’t already have the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, right now it’s offering a welcome bonus of 140,000 IHG points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. You’ll also enjoy automatic Platinum Elite status, an automatic fourth night reward on all award stays and a reward night certificate on your card anniversary (valid at hotels up to 40,000 points per night).
Featured photo courtesy of InterContinental New York Times Square.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.