You Can Now Search for Vacation Rentals Through Google’s Hotel Search
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this month, Google released new flight and hotel search features, and now it’s adding vacation rentals to the mix. Starting on Wednesday, you can go to Google’s Hotel Search on a mobile device and find vacation rentals alongside your favorite points and boutique properties. The experience will expand to desktop searches in the next few months.
Unlike Airbnb, Google is focused on entire unit rentals (think: whole homes, apartments, villas), so searches won’t show rooms for rent within larger apartments or homes. Just search for the destination and dates you want to travel, and select the vacation rentals filter. From there, you can further narrow down your results by sorting for specific amenities (free Wi-Fi, air conditioning, kid-friendly spaces, swimming pool — you get the idea). You can also specify a price range, check guest ratings and browse photos.
The results will be pulled from inventory available on Google’s partners, including Expedia, HomeAway, Hotels.com, RedAwning, TripAdvisor and VRBO. When you’re ready to book, click the link that will bring you to the partner’s page to complete the transaction.
Though an official vacation rental tool may be news, Google actually began including select vacation rentals in its search results in 2017 as a way to test the feature on a small scale with limited inventory in select markets. Now, vacation rentals will be available worldwide, so whether you’re looking for a pied-à-terre in Paris or a sprawling villa in Tuscany, you’ll be able to get results.
The announcement comes at an interesting time, as Airbnb recently announced its acquisition of last-minute booking app HotelTonight, which represents an effort to diversify its offerings. Could Google be trying to edge out Airbnb?
“We can’t comment on specific players or partners. Today, we are just getting started with expanding our vacation rental inventory, and you will continue to see us add new partners to the program as we move forward,” Jennifer Rodstrom, Google’s communications manager, commerce, told TPG, adding, “We are open to working with all types of vacation rental providers for this experience.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees